Boosting a H.L. smoke unit

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Boosting a H.L. smoke unit

Post by MichaelC »

tanker I am stumped. The only real explaination would be the smoker port is fired on your Panzer IV RX-18. I suppose you can swap the RX-18s from your KV-1 to the Panzer IV and see if that works but that doesn't make much sense either really. The only other difference would be the batteries between your KV-1 and Panzer IV.
tanker 242
Corporal

Post by tanker 242 »

hi michaelc switched the rx 18s over & it worked so it seems like the smoker port on pzr1v rx18 board is fried , didnt know that could happen & leave everything ealse working , thanks,ps batteries on bouth tanks are the same .tanker 242 ,your a clever guy .
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Glad can be of help and actually have a reasonable explanation. It could have been fried during all the fussing around with the fan etc. I never asked the smoke master whether there is any chance of overloading the smoker circuit with the fan and the additional demand on the pump motor from the added workload.I know that there is resistors for the motor but don't know if you need a set for the fan too. I have been tapping directly form the RX-18 but maybe we should tap from the resistors before the pump motor ?
tanker 242
Corporal

Post by tanker 242 »

good idear to ask strmnd54 wonder what he will advise ? allthough my kv1 produces smoke like the one on his first post now . so got to send order in for new rx18 now .tanker242.
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

What creates an overload capable of frying the transistor driving the smoke unit on the RX-18, is the heater element...
On my tanks, I always disconnect the power to the heater from the smoke unit board; and connect it to the power switch...
When I turn the switch "ON" , I wait 1 minute to let the smoke build-up in the unit before starting the tank. This way, I get a big puff of smoke when the pump&fan start ... :) :)
Attachments
PIC_0010.JPG
PIC_0010.JPG (39.56 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
Heated debates on climate changes contribute to global warming!!!
tanker 242
Corporal

Post by tanker 242 »

:wave: ki guys got my new rx 18 fitted in pzr1v & smoker is now working ok as is the fan ,am now just waiting for late road wheels for tiger 1 to arrive :thumbup:
tanker 242
Corporal

Post by tanker 242 »

hi guys can anyone tell me how easy it is to change the resister on the heng long smoker .tanker 242.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

AA Gepard wrote:Sorry Guys
New boy on the Block, and in too much of a hurry to post my Query.
And the problem is our messages take about 12 hours to get between Australia and the UK .......LOL
I have now just "Very Briefly" scanned through the whole Thread, and it seems that is a "Proportional" smoker board.
Is that a HL product.
Some city shop owner here,!! says HL has never made a Proportional board ??
It's a worry..................LOL
:wave:
Not sure this answers your question Double A .... but yes HL does make a proportional smoker...it's not bad...but there are others available ...I think Taigen also makes one...and a few other aftermarket are available as well

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

AA Hi, Welcome to the Forum, As ALPHA says HENG LONG do make a proportional smoker but they are as rare as unicorn droppings to find, and anyway if you get a decent control board such as an IBU then that automatically converts a regular smoker into a proportional one along with a lot of other benefits, decent sound, LI-PO controller and so much more. I do not care for smokers in Tanks, working on the principle that a reasonably well serviced engine after start up will produce a heat haze it will not usually make smoke, after all why would you want a smoking Tank engine if you are laying up in ambush? Enjoy the Forum and keep asking the questions. :wave: :wave: :wave: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hi Double A ... there's a unit selling on EBAY all metal ....pumps out loads of smoke....but I'm kind of with WO2c Shaun....All my tanks have smokers...but I rarely use them ....just because they drain the battery faster.... it's nice if you have a remote on/off switch...so you can have smoke when you want it most...like showing off your tank ;)

ALPHA

Return to “Show Off”