See what you ear; ear what you see

Smoke creating devices!
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Re: See what you ear; ear what you see

Post by strmnd54 »

I like the name " Acoustic Smoker"...It would be a good name if someone wanted to market the idea...
I don't intend to take a patent on it; I do all this mainly to improve the hobby...
There's a ton of variations that can be done with the basic idea...
You guys feel free to experiment with it if you wish...

There's not much left of the original H.L. smoke unit..Only the smoke chamber equipped with a 14 OHMS 1 Watt wire wound resistor, wrapped in a kevlar wick...

May be one day; we'll have a good smoke unit ... :haha: :haha:
Heated debates on climate changes contribute to global warming!!!
jonger
Lance Corporal

Post by jonger »

strmnd54 - I have already copied your excellent results using a 14 OHMS resistor and kevlar wick and this takes it to a whole new level which I will be trying as well.
A big thank you for sharing your research with us so we can use it, though it now means I have to look at upgrading my speakers and housings to improve my smoker - something I never thought I would be doing.
Jonger
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

streetfighterjeff wrote:i like that bud, wonder if you could fit some sort of perferated tube between the smoker and speaker. just to lessen the back pressure, or would that destroy the pulse effect?
jeff
That was a good idea... :thumbup:

This is in the wake of the idea I had last week, about using the back pressure of a speaker as a pumping system for a smoke unit...

It's one thing to test an idea on a bench; but making it work in a model is another ball game...

Nevertheless, I succeeded in mounting a small (but powerful) taigen speaker between the gearboxes of my H.L. Pershing; and couple it with the smoke chamber of a modified H.L. smoke unit.

Since the idea came to me while I was working on a modification to boost the audio output of my tank; I blended both smoke and sound together…

The audio modification is based on a 2 X 15 Watts Stereo Amplifier that I bought on E-Bay. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TDA7297F-Digital ... 3567wt_954

My original plan was to use only one channel to drive a taigen speaker mounted in the front of my tank.
I also connected my two batteries ( 5000 Mah NiMH) in serial; to get around 15 Volts to the Amp.

For the new modification, I’m using the 2 channels to power 2 speakers…
Each channel has it’s own volume control; so I can set the volume of the rear speaker to get the level of smoke that I desire; and use the front speaker as a master for the overall sound level…

Here’s a static video of the system...

strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

Here's an update on the acoustic smoker in my H.L. Pershing....
It's running with an RX-18 , a home made analog sound module; a stereo amplifier and 2 taigen speakers ...

I'm already in the process of upgrading to 2.4 GZ with a Tk-22/Benedini combo coupled to the same amp. and speakers...
Matching the sound of the benedini to the smoke unit should give some interesting results ... ;D ;D ;D

reyemmanuel
Recruit

Post by reyemmanuel »

Indeed an interesting mod taken further Strm54! I'll try n give it this idea a go this week end and see if (a) Benedini-Visaton FRS8-HL smokerw/outnoisymotor or (b)dual-chambered enclosure does the engine "real smoke n sound". stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/reydickemmanuel
Tamiya Tiger I
Tamiya Tiger II
Tamiya Leopard 1A4
Tamiya Leopard 2A6
HE M1A2,
HE Leopard 2A5
HL Queen Tiger
HL PzKpfw III
HL M41A3
http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?board=138.0
www.facebook.com/ArmouredRc
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

Nice to see you getting on board ...
I'm sure that there's more than one way to make the idea works...It's a trial and errors thing... :haha: :haha: :haha:

Here's some pics of the lay-out I'm presently using in my Pershing.
Attachments
PIC_0034.JPG
PIC_0034.JPG (64.36 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
PIC_0037.JPG
PIC_0037.JPG (70.45 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
reyemmanuel
Recruit

Post by reyemmanuel »

Thanks for sharing the pic Strmnd54. I'll try your set-up-I like it as it is simple but really effective.

I reckoned the straw with Blue band is the "fuel intake" where you "gas" up with smoke oil?
http://www.youtube.com/user/reydickemmanuel
Tamiya Tiger I
Tamiya Tiger II
Tamiya Leopard 1A4
Tamiya Leopard 2A6
HE M1A2,
HE Leopard 2A5
HL Queen Tiger
HL PzKpfw III
HL M41A3
http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?board=138.0
www.facebook.com/ArmouredRc
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

reyemmanuel wrote:Thanks for sharing the pic Strmnd54. I'll try your set-up-I like it as it is simple but really effective.

I reckoned the straw with Blue band is the "fuel intake" where you "gas" up with smoke oil?

Yes it is....
It's also acting as a low level fluid indicator for the smoker...
When the fluid level reach around 1/16" from the bottom of the chamber; smoke starts to come out of the probe..
Just add 3 ml. of fluid until you see that smoke coming out again...The probe is acting as a fuel gauge...
Here's a pic and a video to show how it works...

Attachments
PIC_0027.JPG
PIC_0027.JPG (55.48 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

genius !

i would always perforate the smoke tubes ! if mine worked ! grr hl ffs !

Return to “Smokers”