HMS Jamaica

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

HMS Jamaica

Post by dylan9391 »

HMS Jamaica is a semi-scale model based on the Glynn Guest plan given as a freebie in model boats magazine. The scale of the drawing is 1/144 and it is quite a large ship. It's painted in the disruptive pattern camouflage pattern with many fittings that I have cast with the lifeboats, guns etc. I've also fitted a planked wooden deck. She's a simple two channel vessel although it does have the Action electronics "destroyer whoop sound module" which is activated by a switch.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: HMS Jamaica

Post by Saxondog »

Hello Dylan, Like your paint scheme. Many of the Atlantic ships wore some very unusual paint work. I'm waiting on a new release this November from Lindberg a 1/144 scale Battleship Arizona. if you would like to add the smoke effect, we designed the super smoker to work in ships as well, it is proportional and would Emmit smoke based on the engine speed. If your interested Dave Forgebear can get these units. I might add the smoker uses fogger fluid which is denser and tends to stay lower behind the ships.

Could you post some more pictures? Was the decking difficult to install? What material did you use Balsa or some other material?

Sax
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

Here is another photo of the ship although I can go closer. It's quite long at approximately 4.5 feet so you'll only get it in segments. the paintwork is a copy of one worn by the real Jamiaca while on Atlantic convoy duty using paints and the chart provided by White Ensign Models. The Model is a balsa model and I followed the build feature in Model Boats magazine except when it came to the deck. The front part near the anchor chains is plasticard with resin cast bollards from my own patterns while the deck was laid following admiralty pattern. I got this from a book called Advanced Ship Modelling - Brian King. It's a job that takes ages individually cutting and laying planks in a four butt deck pattern but once I had finished it was sanded and varnished and there is no way I'd go back to just a plain balsa deck after that. It was a practice model for my next big project HMS Hood again in 1/200 although I was tempted to go for 1/128 until I realised it would take up a big length of my garage/office.

Thanks for letting me know about the smoke unit as it might make a useful addition to this particular ship. The superstructure on this one is bolted, or friction fitted to the deck so upgrade and retro fitting parts is quite straightforward.
XF62
Recruit

Post by XF62 »

Don't likce boats they stink and sink
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Blake,

Here is another photo of the front end of the ship. I'll work my way back with other photos of the hull bow to stern. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

another pic of the front of the ship
Dylan
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Another pic

Dylan
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by xrad »

Nice work, Dylan!

XF62: If you build it right, she will float...
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Thanks for that and well she is floating ok so far anyway. The one I would like to do apart from HMS Hood or similar is a Landing Craft Utility say a MK9, so that I can park up on the shore and drive my tank up the beach, but need to finish a couple of other projects off first and finish my 1/16 tank.

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”