Heng Long Maximum Motor Current

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
ulung2011
Recruit

Heng Long Maximum Motor Current

Post by ulung2011 »

What is the maximum current of a Heng Long motors at full throttle?

I want to use this ESC from Aliexpress, and I need to know the Heng Long motor current to choose which ESC i will use.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240523-151422_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20240523-151422_AliExpress.jpg (921.27 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Heng Long Maximum Motor Current

Post by Tiger6 »

20 to 30A is generally considered more than enough for 1/16. It is not the full throttle current you need to worry about, its the stall current when the track jams that kills ESC's. Our tanks generally run on 380 motors, 480's if you have a modern vehicle with enough room for the longer cans, or at most 540's if you have the fancy Tamiya leopard 2 / PDGSB "one motor driving, one motor steering" setup.

Most of us use a integrated control board with all of the motor driver, lights and sounds, so that we can drive with a single stick, and have the turret controls on the other, rather than have discrete controllers for each motor and try to drive via 2 throttle sticks.
ulung2011
Recruit

Post by ulung2011 »

Ahh, I see. Thank you so much for your answer! I cannot find it anywhere before.

Yes, but, because I am also an FPV drone pilot I want to have the transmitter the same one as my drone TX, and make the electronic DIY are better option for me as giving me much freedom. Maybe one day I would try the integrated control board though.
ulung2011
Recruit

Post by ulung2011 »

Tiger6 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:38 am 20 to 30A is generally considered more than enough for 1/16. It is not the full throttle current you need to worry about, its the stall current when the track jams that kills ESC's. Our tanks generally run on 380 motors, 480's if you have a modern vehicle with enough room for the longer cans, or at most 540's if you have the fancy Tamiya leopard 2 / PDGSB "one motor driving, one motor steering" setup.

Most of us use a integrated control board with all of the motor driver, lights and sounds, so that we can drive with a single stick, and have the turret controls on the other, rather than have discrete controllers for each motor and try to drive via 2 throttle sticks.
I have moved to another project which is M113, using JGA 25-370 motor which has a stall current in 2.0 A. Is it okay if I use a bidirectional 2x5A ESC (5A ESC for each motor)? I have some 2x5A ESC from my previous 1/35 scale lying around.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I'd say a "qualified yes" here. I have used 5A controllers with 380 motors, but had to add heatsinks to the FET's to ensure they operated reliably. These units have an integrated thermal safety cutout tho, so I had plenty of warning that something was not happy - make sure that whatever you are using is similarly protected.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

It's probably OK. If in doubt, you can always add a 5A fuse inline with the positive lead of the motor.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Heng Long”