Removing Molded On Tools

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Ern
Lance Corporal

Removing Molded On Tools

Post by Ern »

I found that the flat chisel type blade for the X-Acto knife does a great job for removing most of the molded on tools on the HL Tiger.  It lays flat against the surface, and barely scratches the surface on the sides of the tools!  Just be sure to push the blade away from your hand that is holding the tank!  :o  I was doing fine until I turned the blade a bit... in the knuckle and out the side of my thumb!  Five stitches later I'm back working on the Tiger...
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Removing Molded On Tools

Post by [ICE]monkey »

good tip, thats how i removed mine , plastic tools that is ,not my thumb ;D
all the best, ice
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

ouch
good tip ern just mind your fingers  :o :o :o :o :o
dash69
Recruit

Post by dash69 »

Hello All, I have a Panzer III and on one side are tolls that seem to made or cast to the hull. Do you just sand the things off? I want to have a flat surface to mount other tools etc. to hull.
Any help appreciated.
Be well,
David
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Thanks for that tip Ern. I used a standard blade on my Tiger hull to scrape the tools off. It worked but I had to use a lot more filler and Mr surfacer than I wanted. I did not realize that you could get this type of blade. I was looking at Tamiyas modeling chisels, but they are expensive. I will defintley go with your blade in future  ;D ;D  Nice bit of needle work on your thumb. Ouch !!!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks for posting.

STEINER 
Last edited by STEINER on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

It is an impressive scar Ern but I am a little disappointed you didnt take a picture of the blade "in-situ" as it were. Cant get enough of  those work in progress shots you know  ;)

Maybe we should have a new thread titled "Whats the most pain you've suffered for your hobbies?"
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
Ern
Lance Corporal

Post by Ern »

Sorry I didn't think of that Crispy... maybe next time!

Steiner, the flat blades work great... I got it as part of a kit, but replacement blades can be found at most hobby shops.  eBay has them ,but in bulk 
http://cgi.ebay.com/xacto-type-Hobby-blade-lot-bulk-pack-100-18_W0QQitemZ270342954253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef1b21d0d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
dash69
Recruit

Post by dash69 »

Thanks I am new. the answer was on the page in front of me. Thanks fro the tips and not saying can he read?
david

Return to “Tips and Tricks”