Tiger I S13, Rabbit hole research for the next Tiger project.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Tiger I S13, Rabbit hole research for the next Tiger project.

Post by MrChef »

Sooooo, I really enjoyed doing research for my loosely based 822 Winter Tiger I for the group build. As fate would have it I fell into yet another Tiger deal that I couldn't pass up. Well armed with what I already knew about 822 which was interesting to me and kinda knowing it's beginning history, I've been deep diving and trying to gather more information.

So from information already shared on Tiger1.info I knew that Tiger 822 of Das Reich was delivered to the 2nd SS in February of 1943 for the 3rd battle at Kharkov. I also learned that this tank was renumbered 811 later in the spring of '43. Then I learned that 811 was re-designated S13 before Operation Citadel and during the battle at Kursk. I learned that she broke down had been damaged and repaired several times during her service.

Here is S13 at Kursk=

I found several pictures of S13 after Kursk as well. After more research and other nice people sharing information I have put together more information to develop the next project.

Here is S13 'with the missing front mud guard' in an armored column moving during the battle at Kiev=

Here are other pictures that I've found of the same column of armor moving=

Here is a picture of S13 advancing in the same column towards/through the town of Radomyshl and the Dnieper river at the battle of Kiev, December 1943.

I've also come to learn that she was commanded by Paul Egger who also had a colorful history. He was first a Luftwaffe pilot who flew in the Battle of Britain. He was shot down and had a head injury so he couldn't fly again, joined the Waffen SS and became a tank commander. Commanded Tiger 822, 811, S13. Then was sent to Normandy to fight the invasion, then shipped back to the eastern front to fight the Soviets. He fought till the end surrendering to the Americans. He was briefly imprisoned. After the war he became a sports correspondent and lived out his life.

This is still research so I will share more information as it becomes available.

Credit and thanks to- David Byrden,
https://tiger1.info/tank-page/A4D

and thanks to the gents on The Tiger FB group for their help and support
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tiger I S13, Rabbit hole research for the next Tiger project.

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Those are helpful photos, and thanks for indicating the helpful sources, too. I noticed that people like to bang up the fenders on their RC Tigers in ways I though might be extreme. Extreme? Unh...mild :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

A very noble subject to model. I eagerly await your progress.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:22 am Those are helpful photos, and thanks for indicating the helpful sources, too. I noticed that people like to bang up the fenders on their RC Tigers in ways I though might be extreme. Extreme? Unh...mild :haha:

Yes sir the real Tigers were very well "used". It truly amazes me that I am able to dig up the information that I have. I'm also thankful to the people who are helping me along. Yes if ya think my 822 was worn in a bit, just wait till we see how she progresses to S13.

I have learned that in the following picture the rectangle piece on the radio man's hull side partially covering the Balkenkreuz is repair from a hit. Turns out this Tiger was hit several times.

MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Jimster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:04 am A very noble subject to model. I eagerly await your progress.
Thank you sir. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. I have a very special idea for paint as I've learned more about that during this process.

I just wish I could find what tank Paul Egger commanded in Normandy. Then I could have done a Normandy Group build as well. I have sorta heard he commanded a Panther but nothing conclusive. I've also heard he got back into a Tiger I for the defense of the eastern front.

Stay Tuned...
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

more S13 pics

Before the battle at Kursk=

The Tiger in the middle is 811 before she was S13

Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Well, Mr Chef. This looks like the perfect subject to practice using PE for the mudguards.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

MrChef: I don't find photoetch so scary at all. One of the modelers in my regular Tuesday "Make Modeling Mediocre Again" group had us building a 1/48 paper octagonal Milwaukee Road Crossing Gate building, a PE kit of a 1/48 P-40, and even had us going on a 1/48 paper WWI biplane. Just look at your own work in 1/16 compared to mine, and you can see that PE will be no big problem for you.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Herr Dr. I appreciate your support and kind words.

Mr. Rat has cast a spell on me somehow and made my finger hit the Voyager set 'add to cart' button on my Forgebear order. Now I'm just waiting for the right moment to force myself to hit the 'check out' button because unfortunately I know my small order will be $40 shipping.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

MrChef wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:17 pm Mr. Rat has cast a spell on me somehow and made my finger hit the Voyager set 'add to cart'.
I never have that effect on the Mussis. Trying to get her to hit the buy now button on a new motorbike. :D Obviously made of tougher stuff.

Return to “General Discussion”