Mato: review/opinions wanted

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
thestig
Lance Corporal

Mato: review/opinions wanted

Post by thestig »

Good evening everyone.

I have read past forum postings regarding Mato tanks, and am aware that overall the general opinion of these tanks has been pretty low. And, a person would be better served purchasing another brand. The majority of the discussions that I read were a year or more old and I’m trying to find out if Mato has improved the quality of their offerings over the years. Can anyone share a more recent experience they have had with Mato’s products?

I am considering Mato because I would leave it to my grandson as a momento of me when I’m no longer on the scene. A metal tank in a metal case appeals to me. You can consider me to be naive, foolish, clueless (whatever), but I sincerely will appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks for your time.
The stig. Aka Frank
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Mato: review/opinions wanted

Post by Kaczor »

Mato tanks are not THAT bad. A bit overpriced for me ;)
tankme

Post by tankme »

I agree, Mato tanks are not bad...well not as bad as Hooben by far... :) I have an all metal PZ3 and it has run well for me except for the one sprocket hub that broke. Luckily I had a spare from swapping to the early sprockets on an SU-76i conversion build.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

I only have experience with their Sherman, but the details of the turret and hull are very good - welds, casting markings, etc.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Kaczor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:25 am I only have experience with their Sherman, but the details of the turret and hull are very good - welds, casting markings, etc.
Shame about the horrifically oversize barrel, but I guess they gotta keep the BB crowd happy!
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Following out of interest, myself.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
The First Plastic Mato Sherman did have an over sized Main Gun Barrel Being all plastic, that tank was easy to mod and detail into something more closely approximating the Sherman M4A1with the 76mm that it was supposed to be. The All Metal Mato tanks can be detailed nicely ( tho' the consistency of the metal fittings was weak on the first ones out.) I've seen modelers do major modding even on the all metal ones but that is more than I want to do. The M36 with the M4 Lower turned out really nicely after I fixed the crumbly pot metal of the guards for the headlights, tail lights, etc... The last metal Mato I have bought is the basic M4A3 Sherman with IR. I am really happy overall with it. Some detailing brings any of them to life.
regards,
Painless
In The Mood is In The Mood.jpg
In The Mood is In The Mood.jpg (224.67 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Radiomans Side Detail.jpg
Radiomans Side Detail.jpg (307.01 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Side View Driver.jpg
Side View Driver.jpg (250.87 KiB) Viewed 239 times
...Here for the Dawn...
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Painless, Mato didn't do the cast hull in metal right? If so I never saw that one. I know of the M4A3 and M10/36 hulls in metal. I've never have worked on a metal hull, can't imagine it to be too much fun to modify. I do have their 76 turret in metal, but only work was paint. Heck, it's hard enough (to me anyway) to modify resin hulls.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Ecam,
No Sir, the Mato Cast Hull was their first Sherman release ( Came out before the Heng Long M4A3 105mm even ) and it was the all plastic version. I included it in my pics since it was the Sherman mentioned that had the over sized gun tube as stock on it. ( Only for BBs as Tom mentioned ) The barrel shown on mine was made up by Alpha when I started the work to detail the tank and rebuild it into a better version of 'In the Mood'. For 169.00 U.S. when it came out, the all plastic MATO Sherman was not a bad tank. Better sounds than the original Heng Long Sherman ( in my opinion ) Nowadays, all of this is subjective as anything can be built into anything else or better a lot easier than back then.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “General Questions”