Are these viewers legit ?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Are these viewers legit ?

Post by lmcq11 »

Hello,

I noticed that my ongoing builds have an abnormally high volume of viewers lately. Usually, a build report would get a couple of hundred viewers following an update. You know then that these are members looking at your stuff and you get some comments.

However, starting just before Christmas, i sometimes get 10k viewers appearing overnight on one build, and then things are calming down after a couple of days. It's possible that the link is being publicized somewhere and that is good, but i also wonder if these are bots or hacking attempts. I find it bizarre that 5k guys would want to read about a Sherman RC build on Christmas eve. Good if it is legit, but it would be good to know who these people are. I know for sure that they are not clicking on videos inside the posts because the Youtube watch counts are not going up. Weird. I thought i should raise this as a concern.

thanks,
Louis
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Are these viewers legit ?

Post by Ecam »

I've been wondering the same thing. I've got about a two month ole thread with 50k+ views. Something fishy seems afoot.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yes, this does seem rather strange.
I'm afraid only Matt could give a clearer answer.
Although I will look out for indicators.
I have noticed that the forum is indicating that it is receiving rather high visitor numbers on occasions, the older forum had over 5,000 at one point on one day.
But, that doesn't explain the lower YouTube count for the same time period.
And it doesn't explain 10,000 visits in one evening/night, which seems extremely excessive, when this new forum is indicating a maximum of 2,624 ever online at any one time.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Must be bots. My Centurion thread was getting 30 views per post, then overnight BAM!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Good grief! I see now over 31K views of my FAMO thread. This has to be a bot (perhaps even including those that Google uses). As bots go, reading my threads clearly indicates that AI means Artificial Idiot.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Check out the new social influencer!
Tuning up your Famo over a large double chai latte with Madagascar cinnamon at Starbucks IS what anyone who is anybody is doing.

Mike.

Return to “General Questions”