JIM SHIRLEY PRODUCTIONS SdKfz 251 D

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

JIM SHIRLEY PRODUCTIONS SdKfz 251 D

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Greetings to all in this New Year.

I stumbled across an old, but quite excellent, resin kit of the now well-produced (by Das Werk and Trumpeter) SdKfz 251 1/D. From what I understand, the kit these days is somewhat rare and with the DW and Trumpeter kits out there, I was hesitant in picking it up when the opportunity presented itself. The details are quite amazing for an early kit, but quite a bit of cleaning up is required, especially on the nicely detailed running gear and sanding resin isn't the healthiest thing to do (so a mask is probably necessary). Anyway, I've started on the kit and what little warping there was was easily corrected with the wife's hair dryer. The kit is quite heavy, much heavier than the DW and Trumpeter kits and, surprisingly, just a shade lighter than some RC tanks. The build-up is not straight forward and what stick drawing instructions that are present are rudimentary and not particularly helpful.

The built up model in the collection of Robert McGuire can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whu0V8RQSjM

Here are a few pics of the kit.
s-l960.3.jpg
s-l960.3.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 7225 times
s-l960.4.jpg
s-l960.4.jpg (84.06 KiB) Viewed 7225 times
s-l960.6.jpg
s-l960.6.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 7225 times
If anyone in our august and well traveled gathering here can provide some insights into the building of a kit like this, such as best adhesive to use, how best to attach the running gear, I'd be in your debt.

Happy New Year
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: JIM SHIRLEY PRODUCTIONS SdKfz 251 D

Post by Ad Lav »

Wow, never seen one of those before!

Good project Ralph!

Return to “General Questions”