Prospective new build.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Meter rat
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Prospective new build.

Post by Meter rat »

Planning for a future build and doing a bit of research on base model. After reading about the Sherwood Rangers, who were at the vanguard for D-Day and right through Normandy and the end of the war. I have had my interest piqued by one of the incidents in the book involving a Tiger.
Where would the best starting point be for a late Tiger? What ever happens I will have to save my pocket/beer tokens so it will not be an immediate start. I am just booking for thoughts.
Thanks in advance Ian
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Prospective new build.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Personally, I would look for a Taigen late tiger1 as a starting point, or a sturmtiger for the running chassis.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Just checked, and Dave and Julie at forgebear sell all the separate Taigen parts :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"Personally, I would look for a Taigen late tiger1 as a starting point." I second that, despite the initial price, especially since the Taigen V3 sound is better than what HengLong offers, even if the Taigen/Torro TX and MFU are not as flexible.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

I agree with Mick and Herr Dr. on Taigen as starting points based on what I'm doing right now with the Heng Long. That being said IF you can source a cheap Heng Long for 7.0 MFU and transmitter alone, Then source Taigen parts to fill in. Or even a cheap Taigen and a cheap 7.0-7.1 MFU. You can get a new HL Tiger I all plastic brand new from ToucanRC for $100.

My Taigen "Metal" runs stronger. EDIT, I just looked at Taigens website and the motors listed are 390's with V1 4:1 gearing so there Is a difference and it's noticeable. It's definitely torquier and more powerful for yard adventures. My Taigen is also 13 lbs. soaking wet, so performance is more scale and realistic. A current Late Version Metal is on sale for $554. which is about what I remember paying for my Early a few years ago.

A late model Plastic Taigen BB is $271.

You already know if you do a later Tiger you'll likely be into Zimmerit so theres Taigen already prepared with Zimmerit or the Zimmerit kits OR if you do a very late Tiger maybe no Zimmerit? And Metal Late wheels. And if you're a stickler the smaller rear idler wheel, And Even Late Tracks.

I have a plan for a mid and a late and would use Taigen. I have looked at the Torro unpainted kits. I have also looked at the Taigen "Plastic" version for my next S13 build (which are about $250.) All depends on what you want in the end. But as Many have said here before. You can start cheap with a Heng Long but by the time you're done upgrading parts and effort involved you'll be at or near a Taigen pricetag. I mean the HL plastic wheels are horrible, so you'd definitely be into metal wheels. So depending on what great deal you'll be able to find on a "Pro" model HL, you'd likely be near $225.-$250 for all metal. Which is what I'd do and definitely will upgrade to down the road.

Just food for thought.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

A long while ago, I could never understand the premium price for Taigen, and then during some in-depth shopping realized they have a metal hull/chassis. You can hang all the metal running gear and tracks you want on a HL, but it's still a plastic hull and all of the flexing that brings. I don't run my tanks hard enough to really warrant metal running gear, but if I did my start point would be that Taigen metal chassis.

Mike.
Meter rat

Post by Meter rat »

Thanks folks.
You all have confirmed my suspicions that a Taigen is the way to go. I did the man sums last night, and using a HL as a base and upgrading and modifying things, it works out about £300 more than buying a Taigen. I will speak to Dave in the new year. The houses are taking priority at the moment.

Ian
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

All these Tiger builds are good to see as the Tiger has been kind of out of vogue for a few years now. I'm in the midst of a late Tiger 1 build as I had a Taigen metal IR turret and a brand new upper hull sitting around doing nothing and so for the winter build i figured I'd get the Taigen hull and late Tiger wheels, idlers/drive sprockets and tracks and go from there on a Abt 506 1944 version. Was going to go crazy and grind everything off but I said to hell with it and just got rid of the left antenna storage tube. Since all my tanks are painted with Tamiya spray cans and camo putty I'm trialing a new technique to try and get the field airbrush effect. Taigen is definitely the way to go and their late Tiger tracks are impressive looking on a finished model
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Panzermechaniker wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:58 am Since all my tanks are painted with Tamiya spray cans and camo putty I'm trialing a new technique to try and get the field airbrush effect.
Well I'm definitely looking forward to your joining the Tiger I resurgence. And I'm interested in the technique since I'm still in the same rattle can boat.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore

Return to “General Questions”