Two more rookie questions about potential options.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

Two more rookie questions about potential options.

Post by Mithras »

Hi, everybody. Again, very grateful for your answering my questions.

Two other things.

A. Heng Long T/34-85

Is there a 76mm turret available for this? I had thoughts of turning this into one of the handful captured by the Italian Army in Russia. You know by now I'm a novice. Is this something you reckon a newbie could figure out installing, assuming such a thing exists?

B. Does anybody know anything about the seller offering this Grant? (Other than the truly weird 'silver' paint job)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265821626101?h ... R9bwup__Yg
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Two more rookie questions about potential options.

Post by MrChef »

Mithras wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:02 am Hi, everybody. Again, very grateful for your answering my questions.

Two other things.

A. Heng Long T/34-85

Is there a 76mm turret available for this? I had thoughts of turning this into one of the handful captured by the Italian Army in Russia. You know by now I'm a novice. Is this something you reckon a newbie could figure out installing, assuming such a thing exists?

B. Does anybody know anything about the seller offering this Grant? (Other than the truly weird 'silver' paint job)?

A. The Heng Long T34/85 is a good tank. Actually the most decent finish out of the box for Heng Long IMHO. I have the Pro version, solid runner no issues.

I unfortunately do Not know your answer to mod it for the 76 but I'm sure it's out there and our good members will guide you.

B. Ooooohhhh Noooooo you found that Grant [Edited]... Last time I saw it was on Aliexpress... Lets see how our resident pros dissect this tidbit for $800+? :wtf: :haha: :crazy:
Last edited by MrChef on Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

MrChef wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:22 am
Mithras wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:02 am Hi, everybody. Again, very grateful for your answering my questions.

Two other things.

A. Heng Long T/34-85

A. The Heng Long T34/85 is a good tank. Actually the most decent finish out of the box for Heng Long IMHO. I have the Pro version, solid runner no issues.

I unfortunately do Not know your answer to mod it for the 76 but I'm sure it's out there and our good members will guide you.

B. Ooooohhhh Noooooo you found that Stuart... Last time I saw it was on Aliexpress... Lets see how our resident pros dissect this tidbit for $800+? :wtf: :haha: :crazy:
I'm looking forward to that dissection;)

And thank you. Appreciate the insight regarding the T-34.
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I think Chef meant to say "Grant" and not Stuart, but I digress. Can't really comment about the quality of the Grant...sorry. I feel it is one of the ugliest tanks ever produced, but that's just like my personal opinion. It's like the Pontiac Aztek of the tank world. :)

The T34 is a good tank. Raminator here on the boards is working on a T34/76 turret upgrade and so is Artem. I'm not sure either is completely ready to be sold yet. I have some T34/76's, but mine were made from static kits so a lot of custom work had to be done to make them work. I think the other two options will be drop-on options, but they will need to be painted. I say drop-in, but that's probably not completely right. The replacement turrets will probably use servos for elevation and recoil. Most of the out of the box tanks don't come with servo outputs so the control board would need to be replaced with one with servo outputs.
Last edited by tankme on Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

tankme wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:21 am I think Chef meant to say "Grant" and not Stuart, but I digress. Can't really comment about the quality of the Grant...sorry. I feel it is one of the ugliest tanks ever produced, but that's just like my personal opinion. It's like the Pontiac Aztek of the tank world. :)

The T34 is a good tank. Raminator here on the boards is working on a T34/76 turret upgrade and so is Artem. I'm not sure either is completely ready to be sold yet. I have some T34/76's, but mine were made from static kits so a lot of custom work had to be done to make them work. I think the other two options will be drop-on options, but they will need to be painted. I say drop-in, but that's probably not completely right. The replacement turrets will probably use servos for elevation and recoil. Most of the out of the box tanks don't come with servo outputs so the control board would need to be replaced with one with servo outputs.
Good to know. Honestly, I’m somewhat surprised the initial release wasn’t a 76. But the companies making these, for the most part, seem to be fixed on late war treads.
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Mithras wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:05 amGood to know. Honestly, I’m somewhat surprised the initial release wasn’t a 76. But the companies making these, for the most part, seem to be fixed on late war treads.
The point was that the small T-34/76 turret would not accommodate standard HL/ Taigen barrel recoil and elevation mechanisms. That's why you won't see early war, smaller vehicles.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Kaczor wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:21 am
Mithras wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:05 amGood to know. Honestly, I’m somewhat surprised the initial release wasn’t a 76. But the companies making these, for the most part, seem to be fixed on late war treads.
The point was that the small T-34/76 turret would not accommodate standard HL/ Taigen barrel recoil and elevation mechanisms. That's why you won't see early war, smaller vehicles.
Makes sense. Too bad. But makes sense.
tankme

Post by tankme »

And WSN, which is the RC side of Trumpeter built an RC version of their static 1/16 Trumpeter T34/85. Once that happened, it was easy for Taigen/Torro to copy it. HL came along with their version last. Personally I think the Taigen/Torro version is the best version. All of my T35 variants (T34/76 1941, T34/76 1943, SU-122, SU-100, and my T34/85) are based off the Taigen chassis...I will be scratch building a T34S on a Taigen chassis as I already have most of the parts to build it and the plastic model to measure off of.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Sadly there isn't much about this particular M3 tank out there. Either people aren't purchasing it, or they're too embarrassed to admit they purchased it. One eBay review I found had given it a positive feedback, but was complaining it was damaged, and was only offered a $70 refund.
Well, I'm not going to publicly imply that that person told us all we need to know about themselves and their shopping competence within that one review lol.

I found an old posting on this forum, but it doesn't help, (link at the bottom)

To me, the price feels like a con, they are implying, and trying to give the illusion that it's metal, or mostly metal, yet it it less than 2.5kg which is around the weight of a boxed plastic Heng Long Sherman.

Even though it's something I'd like, I think I'll pass.

old posting about it.
Exbonzai 1/16 M3 Lee
viewtopic.php?t=33003&f=182
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Col’s models does a 76mm T34 turret. He’s Facebook based.

Return to “General Questions”