AAF Museum Danville, VA Closing

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

AAF Museum Danville, VA Closing

Post by tankme »

Just saw a post on their FB page with a short video from Dan saying the museum had started making arrangements to return it's artifacts (tanks, equipment, etc) to their owners and back to the government for the ones owned by them. It looks like they took the post down now. They were probably getting bombarded with comments. When I went to read them, the post was shown by FB as deleted or not shared with me. This place holds the big tank battlefield on the east coast. There were no comments as to the fate of the battlefield.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Re: AAF Museum Danville, VA Closing

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

They've also been a consistent and reliable source of those extra parts in scale. I hope the bad news is premature.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I just checked the AAF web site. It does indicate that the museum is to be closed for a few days in August, but says nothing about a permanent closing. There are a few events listed on the web site's "events" calendar. I cannot check, for I have avoided "Facebook." Is there information elsewhere? Is the web site out of date?
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

Dang that sucks. I did notice they didn’t have any tamiyas stock.
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

Just checked their website and the shop is still operating with lots of Tamiya parts still available. If this news is correct grab what you need guys before this avenue of parts is gone. I was told by them a while ago that Tamiya have no intention to release again any of the tanks they have discontinued. The new Tamiya management probably has looked at their sales versus Heng Long ,Taigen ,Torro , etc. Think I will see if I can get a heads up from Karen what will happen to their stock if they did close as I buy from them. John.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya King Tiger [Porsche turret]
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
tankme

Post by tankme »

The video is from Dan. Dan stated in the video that this process is already in progress and that some artifacts have already been sent to other locations. He also stated that this process could take 6 months or 2 years. For some reason the posting on FB is only shared with some people or may have been removed as I can see it on my phone right now, but I can't see it on my home PC. He said that the closure has been expected for quite some time. The latest post I saw now says, "Saying goodbye to these beautiful restorations. On a side note never drove on to a trailer like that." Video is posted showing a military spotlight, a US half-track, and a Grayhound being hauled off.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

A few years ago I went to visit them on an East coast vacation. I arrived on a Wednesday only to see the big electric sign out front read open Friday - Saturday. Needless to say, I was bummed.

I did manage to see Wright Pat air museum, Gettysburg, Smithsonian air museum (both of them), two battleships, Monitor/Merrimack (aka Virginia) museum on that same trip. I found about a half dozen monument tanks and a few civil war forts. So it wasn't a wasted trip. And no wife or kids along to ask if we could leave yet.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Eric, you're probably close enough to drive there (certainly closer than the 5,000 mile trip it would be for me). I went there around 2005, and was able to spend about an hour watching the battlefield maneuvers. It was a great visit, and I had always hoped to revisit it one day. Looks like, now, I'm going to have to do it vicariously through you!

Return to “General Discussion”