upgraded HL tiger 1 to 2.4

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby madbadger » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Just upgraded my HL tiger 1 to the latest 2.4ghz with the TK-6.0.

first thing none of the wiring plugs match!! so chopped all the wires off and started fresh. I have the tank moving backwards and forwards but steering is in reverse!! push stick left = tank turns right!! and vice versa. Anyone know why or how to swap the stick to steer correctly?

I also realised that the original airsoft gun doesn't work as the wiring is all to cock, so I've ordered a new airsoft gun with the correct connectors. One thing i did find is that the tank would run ok then just cut out, having to restart and drive off again. This got worse and worse, so seeing as the new TK unit will work from 7.4-12volts i decided to fit a 3 cell 11v lipo battery, and its cured it, the tank doesn't stop no matter how much i run it, however the tank now does 90mph!!!! until i found how to adjust the TK unit to accept the 7.4v input. You press the G button and pull the right stick down this puts the tank in 7.4v mode, the tank runs at the correct speed, press G and right stick up, 12v mode. I thought id better stick to 7.4 mode as it would probably burn out the motors.

the only problem i have is the steer left / right stick is the wrong way round, if anyone can tell me how to swap them over, that would be great, Oh and I've had the transmitter in bits, you can't swap the switches round, all soldered to the board.

Kev

madbadger
Private

Postby RenoirLV » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:06 pm

Change the polarity of motor cables. At least one of them. It solves this problem on earlier mfus.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:39 pm

A useful tip there on how to change the voltage. :thumbup:
I don't suppose you have the Right motor connector in the left input on the MFU,have you- and vice versa, of course, for the other side?
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby jarndice » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:25 pm

I found that the easiest way of changing from 27 to 2.4 was to get a new daughter board from www.forgebeartanks.com and a handful of "JST" plugs from e-bay.
Dremel out the battery box and superglue the battery box cover in place.
After that it was simply a case of deciding which mfu to put in.
jarndice
Major

Postby General Jumbo01 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 pm

The left/right thing happened to me going from HL v5.3 to Taigen v3. Just put the left motor plug in the right socket and visa versa. It works!

Have a good read through the 6.0 / 6.1 full handbook as there are lots of new button combos to learn! If you didn't get one there's a link to it somewhere here on the forum.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby madbadger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Sorted it guys, wires on the motors wanted swapping over, all working now apart from airsoft gun but I’ve ordered a new one with the correct wiring.

Thanks for all the answers

Cheers

Kev

madbadger
Private

Postby General Jumbo01 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Well l got the wire swap right so l'll stick my neck out on the firing mechanism. The air soft gun has lost its permanent power supply so needs a jumper cable to get it back. Use an test meter to identify where to pick it up. Yes, this happened to me when doing a v3 to v5.3 upgrade - in fact it caught out quite a lot of us at the time. Easy o fix and all it costs is a short bit of cable and a blob of solder!
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby madbadger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:43 pm

There’s only 2 wires coming from the unit, if I wire these to power, the unit just keeps on firing, there’s no way to stop it. If I connect it to the airsoft port on the TK6, it does nothing. I notice on the new unit I’ve ordered it has 4 wires, 2 from motor and 2 from a switch at the rear of the unit. I take it these plug into the airsoft socket and 2 to what I can see as trigger!!!

Kev

madbadger
Private

Postby General Jumbo01 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:17 pm

If figuring out what the wiring does by use of a test meter is beyond your experience then using an updated v6 unit may be the simpler way. I was just trying to save you money. Mind you, a meter costs about the same as a new firing unit if you don't already have one. Would last you a lifetime though.
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby madbadger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:34 pm

No I’m not that good with wiring the new one I’ve ordered is only £9 delivered from China. It’s got 2 plugs from 4 wires so it must be an easy plug and play!!! Hopefully it will work, everything else seems to be working ok.

Kev

madbadger
Private

Postby General Jumbo01 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Let's hope so. In general, there are several pre v6.0 versions out there and for each version the mfu, hull wiring and turret wiring circuits and looms are not fully plug compatible. This means that you may still need to modify the wiring looms.
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby jarndice » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Not for the first time I may be mistaken but I think a change of Daughter Board is the only alteration that needs to be made when uprating the MFU on a Heng Long or Taigen Tank.
jarndice
Major

Postby General Jumbo01 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:49 pm

The v3 to v5.3 was a nightmare that required rewiring the turret loom to provide a permanent live to the Airsoft. It took two people to operate the sticks and the meter at the same time to figure that one out! I was amazed that the HL v5.3 to Taigen v3 was a simple plug and play with only the motor leads needing swapping.
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby madbadger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:16 pm

I have the very first hl tiger 1 with the rx13 board in it. I upgraded to the rx18 27mhz board and that was straight pnp. Now I have bought the tk6.0 with the 2.4 ghz transmitter, the plugs are all in twos, none of the original wiring apart from the speaker will fit. I’ve had to re-wire using new plugs. My old airsoft unit was wired in conjunction with the gun elevator motor. How it worked is a mystery. The tk6 has two ports I believe, one that goes to the airsoft motor (2 wires) and the other which says trigger! Goes to the back of the airsoft unit 2 wires!

Finger crossed it works

Kev

madbadger
Private

Postby madbadger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 pm

New hl airsoft unit turned up today, doesn’t work how I expected. Plugged it into the tk6.0 but it doesn’t fire! I’ve hot wired it to fire. Bit of a bodge but it works.

I’ll start saving for a tamiya tiger I think.

Kev

madbadger
Private

Postby General Jumbo01 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Like l said, it needs a permanent supply added to the turret loom. Got the T-Shirt!
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby RenoirLV » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:20 am

General Jumbo01 wrote:Like l said, it needs a permanent supply added to the turret loom. Got the T-Shirt!
As a linguist I am interested in the last phrase....

RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby madbadger » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 am

This unit has 4 wires connected to two plugs. From what I can tell there are two ports on the TK 6 where they plug in. One to the airsoft unit (motor) and another from a switch at the back of the airsoft unit to the (I think) the trigger socket on the tk6. But it didn’t work so I wired it to the smoke button. Now I have to press the smoke button on and off to fire or it just keeps firing.

Kev

madbadger
Private

Postby silversurfer1947 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:58 pm

RenoirLV wrote:
General Jumbo01 wrote:Like l said, it needs a permanent supply added to the turret loom. Got the T-Shirt!

It is the end of a phrase used in English when you have experienced the same problem as someone else. In full it goes "Been there, done that, got the T shirt"
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby General Jumbo01 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 pm

RenoirLV wrote:

Been there, done it, got the t-shirt..

l explained in previous posts that l had experienced the problem and how l had resolved it. He has provided an alternate power supply (smoker) but if he had provided a permanent supply to the firing switch it would work normally. Unfortunately the turret wiring circuits HL install are bespoke for each version of their MFUs.
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Next

Return to General Questions