Very late stug

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby tomhugill » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:32 pm

I've been working on my late war stug 3g, first stage has been base dark yellow and modulation. I've used the ak ducklegelb modulation set as I had it left over from doing the e90 fenders. I've tried to be a bit less "garish panel line" with it, remains to be seen if this approach will bare fruit when I complete the camo, weathering etc! Next up will be chipping, then coat of future, hairspray and the camo. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Postby HERMAN BIX » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Dunkelgelb modulation :/ :crazy: :crazy:
God, I though 4BO was difficult !!
Its going to look tougher than Jason Statham punching on in a club after some bloke looked sideways at his Mrs !! :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Absolutely beautiful work
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Ludwig von wigbearer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Looks superb, watching a master at work :clap:

regards john :wave:

Ludwig von wigbearer
Sergeant

Postby Ludwig von wigbearer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Looks superb, watching a master at work :clap:

regards john :wave:

Ludwig von wigbearer
Sergeant

Postby tomhugill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 am

Cheers guys.

A little more progress, I've finished painting the lower, wheels, tools etc. Next was the camo, I'm really struggling with the ak paints, the mix is very thing and it's hard not to get runs or overspray. This is a fairly rough draft as it's only the base colour without modulation and some bits need ammending/tidying up.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
tomhugill
Captain

Postby c.rainford73 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:41 am

Tom I think you are doing spectacular work.
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Stug looking very tasty sir. Nice work.

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby tomhugill » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Things have gone a bit late war! I've finished the camo and done the chipping, going for the very well worn look. Also painted and fitted the tools and added the lable to the fire extinguisher.

At the moment the camo looks very bright but the filter should help thereImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:33 am

Next up I've added markings using masks, I've also finished the tools and sealed using futureImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 am

Absolutely beautiful Tom
c.rainford73
Major

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:23 am

Tom what is your chipping secret? It looks very convincing :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Jimster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:25 am

Outstanding modeling and painting!

Jimster
Corporal

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks guys. Carl I used hairspray for the chipping, been a while and I probably overdid it a little but it's a late war tank so I think I can get away with it.

I was half asleep last night when I made the last post and forgot to mention the filter. This is a very think oil layer which alters the overall tone. In this case I used mig "the filter" tan for Tri colour camo. The filter also blends together and tones down the bright tones of the modulation.

Next I added a coat of future (original recipe booya!) to seal the paint so far and it supposedly helps with the pin wash, anything the makes pin washes easier and neater can't be bad in my book! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Postby AlwynTurner » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 am

incredibly realistic finish on this model Tom, truly a work of art and obviously the result of a lot of hours painstaking work. :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby jimbo_wa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 am

Great detailing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jimbo_wa
Lance Corporal

Postby HERMAN BIX » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 pm

A rough diamond Mr Hugill :thumbup:
I still cant get my head around using that 'future' stuff you guys like up there, but hey, it seems to work !
I must ask, isnt it liberating when you can be as rough as you like, but that still looks like you intended it that way !
StuG's are just that , can be as rough or as neat as you like, all options are right.
I like the swing armour skirts over the conventional ones, better for our scale & certainly the best option for actual mobile models over static masterpieces.

Stowage on the deck ?
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:19 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:A rough diamond Mr Hugill
I still cant get my head around using that 'future' stuff you guys like up there, but hey, it seems to work !
I must ask, isnt it liberating when you can be as rough as you like, but that still looks like you intended it that way !
StuG's are just that , can be as rough or as neat as you like, all options are right.
I like the swing armour skirts over the conventional ones, better for our scale & certainly the best option for actual mobile models over static masterpieces.

Stowage on the deck ?
Futures labled as floor polish but is essentially acrylic varnish (clear coat etc). I think the main draws were is it dries very very quickly, it's cheap for a large amount and it works well, however they changed the formula a few years back and it's now cloudy not clear and people dont like it. I found mine in my sister's cleaning cupboard in their new house!

Thanks for the kind words, I agree I like the regimented early colour schemes and the neatness of them and also the last ditch feel of the later war tanks.

There will be crew and stowage, maybe a bike, couple Jerry cans, tarp etc

tomhugill
Captain

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:41 pm

That looks fantastic Tom :clap: :clap:

As for your "varnish" the EU made strict changes in paint manufacture a while back. They brought in laws to reduce the Volatile Organic Compounds used in paint and coatings manufacture. That's why paints/coatings aren't as good as they used to be. And why oil based gloss white yellows quicker these days.

It cost paint manufacturers a fortune to find alternative "ingredients" to work, and why paint/coatings went up in price a few years ago.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby tomhugill » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:43 am

Little bit more done on the stug, this time it's weathering with oils, streaking grime, rain marks and other grey brown colours, streaked and spotted to fade the colour scheme. Also added some bare metal tones to some of the red oxide patches and some streaked rust. I think some graphite to bring these out next and maybe some more rust pigment before everything gets a final Matt coat. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Heng Long Builds