Alwyn Turner/Chris Ludwig hybrid Hornisse (early Nashorn)

Up to the end of WWII.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Alwyn Turner/Chris Ludwig hybrid Hornisse (early Nashorn

Post by Raminator »

Glad you're interested lads, I hope the build lives up to your expectations! I think some more planning is going to need to go into it, so I'll probably only start constructions once the SU-152 is done(ish).
Will01Capri wrote:How does the alloy hull get held together?
It'll need some kind of epoxy for sure, the aluminium won't take solder and welding would be over-the-top. I'll need to find out what the best stuff available to me is.
lmcq11 wrote:If you go metal and use mixed vendors, I noticed a Nashorn 88 metal gun barrel at MK Modellbau that would look good on it.
Nashorn 88.JPG
Thanks Louis, that looks really nice. I'll see how strong the gun mechanisms are and whether they'll hold up to the additional weight.
Estnische wrote:Now that's thinking outside the square! Do you have plenty of reference material for this version? I'd love to know the thought process,that went into your decision making. You must have been planning for a while?
Watching Alwyn's and Louis' respective builds got me reading a bit, and I just found the subtle differences interesting. I also like the way the front-mounted spare wheels bulk out the silhouette, and I think a rear-mounted exhaust would lend itself well to a smoker setup. Plus it's always nice to do something a little bit different. ;)
Ad Lav wrote:Chris is very amenable, he will make you an aluminium chassis for most of his kits.

The Hornet will be a nice model, what's the differences in the Hornet and Rhino?
He's very helpful and obliging (to say nothing of his obvious talent), we are lucky to have him in our hobby.

First post has a brief summary of the major differences between early- and late-production variants; mostly minor cosmetic stuff about where things are mounted.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Alwyn Turner/Chris Ludwig hybrid Hornisse (early Nashorn

Post by Will01Capri »

Raminator wrote:Glad you're interested lads, I hope the build lives up to your expectations! I think some more planning is going to need to go into it, so I'll probably only start constructions once the SU-152 is done(ish).
Will01Capri wrote:How does the alloy hull get held together?
It'll need some kind of epoxy for sure, the aluminium won't take solder and welding would be over-the-top. I'll need to find out what the best stuff available to me is.
I bought some cool aircraft grade adhesive a couple years ago. Very similar stuff to what lotus use to bond their alu tub cars together.
If you don't find anything else i can have a look exactly what it is called. But that would be the way to go. If i remember correctly you can also buy in sealant type catridges so it can be applied that way once warmed in a bowl of hot water as i seem to remember it is very thick and hard.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Other”