How to make scale barb wire

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
capt midnight
Corporal

How to make scale barb wire

Post by capt midnight »

Disclaimer.
Just to get any confusion out of the way, this post does not in any way contain Pamela Anderson! :haha:

Okay, here we go. This is how I made up the barb wire on the back of my buddies stug.

This is the materials I used to make the wire. The wire on the spool is just some cheap jewelry wire from the discount store. This makes the barbs. The other is the kind of braided wire used to hang picture frames, and acts as the core of the barb wire.
20170801_110522.jpg
I made this frame up to make it easier to wrap the single wire around the core. Just a couple of pieces of scrap I had laying around. Anything like this will make it a lot easier to wrap. The short post in the middle is the split piece used to make the loops in the wire. I just made a hole to store it in so I didn't have to make a new one every time I wanted to make wire.
20170801_095403.jpg
To start out wrap the core wire around your posts, leaving enough room under it to easily pass the wire under. Wrap the wire for the barbs around the post as well, then wrap it around the core wire 3 or 4 times. Keep this number constant throughout the process. Place the split pin onto the core wire right up against the barb wire, then make a loop around the top half of the pin. Put wraps around the core wire on the other side of the split pin as shown.
20170801_100225.jpg
Now, move the split pin to the outside of your last wraps and put it back onto the core wire. Make another loop, only this time it's on the other side of the core wire. The beginning and ending of the loops should be on the top side of the core wire as shown in this picture and the next.
20170801_100437.jpg
After several repeats it should look something like this.
20170801_100722.jpg
When finished it should look like these. Note how the loops start and stop on the top side of the core wire.
20170801_105631.jpg
20170801_105638.jpg

After you get the full length you're going for, take a pair of heavy scissors and cut off the tops of the loops. This makes the barbs. One thing to keep in mind is that these points are really SHARP! (I found this out the hard way :{ ) This should be what your wire looks like now.
20170801_110632.jpg
I did up a section about a meter long and it took about 45 minutes, including taking the pictures. Once you get a rhythm going, it goes pretty fast.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: How to make scale barb wire

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Thanks for sharing. Looks amazing
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Thank you for keeping up your promise to share Mr Midnight Image

Mick.
Yes very realistic and superbly presentedImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Very nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Post by rolling-thunder »

My Stug/s need this. I suspect it will be useful for my other Tanks too?
I am the Law!
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks to all. I really liked the way this wire came out. Looks SO much better than some cut plastic, and it's really pretty easy to make. I think it looks great either rolled up or strung out. I haven't tried putting a rust coat on it, but it should look pretty good dusted down with some spray paint.

Here's some I put on a Stug III I made for a buddy, still new and shiny.
20170731_182817.jpg
Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS

Return to “Tips and Tricks”