Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Control Board

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Re: Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Control Boa

Post by LukeZ »

Actually I hate to say it but the situation is more complicated than described. The DasMikro as it is sometimes called by Chinese sellers, is an unauthorized clone of the Benedini TBS Micro. The Chinese however did not bother to write new software for it, it can only be programmed using Benedini's proprietary "Flash" software. Because they were essentially robbing him of sales, Thomas Benedini has removed support for the Micro from his newest version of Flash (v3 and later).

Although the Open Panzer project is open source and even though I personally would prefer everyone else follow suit, I do appreciate that some people are actually trying to run a business and make a profit. Thomas Benedini was very helpful and cooperated with me in adding several new features to the TBS Mini specifically at my request. Out of respect to him therefore the Open Panzer code is written only for compatibility with his latest version of Flash, which as I say only works with the TBS Mini and not the Micro. There are practical reasons for this as well, it is too much work to maintain support for two different versions of Flash, so it makes sense to proceed only with the latest software and Thomas has decided the latest software will not work with the Micro.

You can still use the Micro with the Tank Control Board but probably only the engine sounds will work correctly, all the other sounds are unlikely to trigger correctly since those have changed from the old version of Flash. I don't know who created the video that Wibbly posted but if you watch it he only gets engine sounds and nothing for cannon fire.

Like all the rest of you I do wish Thomas would sell his products at lower cost - the price of his Mini board is really absurd and makes it difficult for most people to justify. But it's his business to run as he sees fit.

If the Chinese want to put in the work to writing their own software for the DasMikro clone, I will be happy to add support for it. Or if Thomas wants to re-instate support for the Mikro in his newest version of Flash, I will add support for it that way. But right now if you want full functionality you really have to use the more expensive TBS Mini (or get a Taigen sound card).
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The cheapest I've found is hobbyking on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Sound-Unit- ... 2749.l2649

I just got two more today, but if you plan to use this in a tank I'd advise you to think about an amp. For the little trucks they work well, but then, the little truck is kinda little for a TCB.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

LukeZ wrote: Like all the rest of you I do wish Thomas would sell his products at lower cost - the price of his Mini board is really absurd and makes it difficult for most people to justify. But it's his business to run as he sees fit.

If the Chinese want to put in the work to writing their own software for the DasMikro clone, I will be happy to add support for it. Or if Thomas wants to re-instate support for the Mikro in his newest version of Flash, I will add support for it that way. But right now if you want full functionality you really have to use the more expensive TBS Mini (or get a Taigen sound card).
Thats the point. The price of the Micro is ABSURD 89 euros + 22 for the programer + shipping is ridiculous. You can buy the benedini clone for less than 20 euros and a buy a programmer for 2 bucks free shipping and even you have a free speaker with it too. I felt bad buying a knockout but the Benedini's price is absurd and unjustifiable.

And the benedini mini is no cheaper... Im pretty sure the chinese guys will never update the software... But you can always try to help them, lol. So my last hope is to have an Open Panzer 2.0 with sound board and ESCs included.

Or who knows maybe a skilled guy from the forum is able to make new software for the clone...

EDIT: Which is the latest benedini micro software version? I have the 1.0.1.4 but Ill apreciate if somebody can give me a link of a newer one...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Im pretty sure the chinese guys will never update the software... But you can always try to help them, lol. Or who knows maybe a skilled guy from the forum is able to make new software for the clone...
I agree with you that will probably not happen. The person to do it would have to be pretty darn skilled, more skilled than even myself. This may not be apparent to the lay user, but the software that Thomas wrote is technically quite impressive. There is nothing special at all about his hardware, which is why the Chinese were able to clone his boards so easily and cheaply. His software is the real piece of value which can not be easily replicated, and certainly not by the Chinese who are too lazy anyway.
Rad_Schuhart wrote:EDIT: Which is the latest benedini micro software version? I have the 1.0.1.4 but Ill apreciate if somebody can give me a link of a newer one...
Thomas is only giving out the new version of Flash to paying customers, it is no longer a free download. After you buy one of his products (or if you already bought one in the past) he will give you a special login to his site to download the new version.

Again, this is all in response to the Chinese cloning. He's just protecting his business, which I think we can all appreciate.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

But this newer version is only for the mini, not the micro, right?
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Yes that is correct, the new version of Benedini TBS Flash (he calls it v3) only supports the Mini, and not the Micro.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

LukeZ wrote:Yes that is correct, the new version of Benedini TBS Flash (he calls it v3) only supports the Mini, and not the Micro.
Ok, thanks. So then I guess the 1.0.1.4 is and will be the last micro software version... Hope some of the guys here can make their own software version so we can use it with the open panzer board...

Sorry for derrailing your thread!
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

Version 1.0.1.4 is the latest version of the original Flash that I have too, so I think you're right that must be the most recent (of the old software). The most recent version of his new software I have is called v3.0.1 (I don't think there was ever a v2).

This is a good topic to discuss, no derailing taken! :)
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

LukeZ wrote:Still no word from HK about what if anything they have done about production issues. However, I've noticed the TCB has gone on sale for $35 (in both the Global and US warehouses). Maybe they are getting rid of bad stock? Maybe it's an incredible deal? I can't say, but for those that want to take a chance I figured I'd let you know. 
At that price point you can't really argue, can you? I've got another on the way now, thanks Luke. Here's hoping this'll help rekindle interest, I know some of us have been a bit wary after HobbyKing messed up the first batch.
Rad_Schuhart wrote:I felt bad buying a knockout but the Benedini's price is absurd and unjustifiable.
Yes, the TBS Mini is expensive, but when you look at these things as a whole package it's a lot more reasonable. A full system, with the TCB (€30), ESC (€18) and TBS Mini (€99) is less than €150. If you're looking for comparable levels of functionality, an IBU2U Pro costs €165, a Clark TK60 €150, and an Elmod Fusion Pro €225.

I think it's a case where you get what you pay for when you consider the quality of the TBS Mini's sound simulation and the fact that you continue to receive any new soundsets or software features as well.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Raminator wrote: Yes, the TBS Mini is expensive, but when you look at these things as a whole package it's a lot more reasonable.
TBS Mini is a very good Sound device!
Raminator wrote:
A full system, with the TCB (€30), ESC (€18) and TBS Mini (€99) is less than €150. If you're looking for comparable levels of functionality, an IBU2U Pro costs €165, a Clark TK60 €150, and an Elmod Fusion Pro €225.
Important: we can use all kind of ESC => brushed - brushless and serial controllers like Sabertooth
Only Elmod Fusion have the option for RC-ESC

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”