My Tiger Tank 1 (Early model, full option) Build.

silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: My Tiger Tank 1 (Early model, full option) Build.

Post by silversurfer1947 »

jarndice wrote:Richard Now that does look very nice, I see you have made provision for the starting handle on the rear panel,
There is a tip I offer freely and it will save you money as well as highlight the side views.
If you have an XACTO Micro-saw,
First duct tape each side of the side fender indents(These simulate the separation of each one of the four fitted each side) to protect the body from a slipped saw blade, ( do not use masking tape it will not protect the body)then carefully saw along the indent so that now you can clearly see the actual separation between the side fenders.
carefully remove the Duct tape and stand back and admire your work.
Shaun.
The photos don't make it apparent, but I have already cut the side fenders. I remembered reading the tip in another thread, so I did it before fixing. I did have problems, ás they seemed to fall off if you looked at them too hard. Thanks for the comments.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In that case forgive my shortsightedness because otherwise it is a great build and one I hope you are proud of. :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

jarndice wrote:In that case forgive my shortsightedness because otherwise it is a great build and one I hope you are proud of. :thumbup:
Shaun.
I would blame the photos, not your eyes! Just had a good look at the pictures and you really can't see the gap. It would be more obvious if the fenders weren't all in line.

BTW, thank you for pointing out the space for the starting handle - I had completely overlooked it. It is now waiting for me to finish the clamps and the pace will be filled.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Silver,
Firstly, your Tamiya is more accurate a build right out of the box than Taigen or Heng Long ( They have taken giant strides in catching up tho' ) and makes a beautiful version of the early Tiger 1 that can be enjoyed as is. I am glad to see that you didn't rest on your laurels and went on to extra steps to make your tank a thing apart from the kit version. As far as weathering, a simple pin wash will define the bolt head, rivets, etc. of your tank and give it depth ( I think this is what you were speaking of ). After that, Tamiya makes some excellent weathering compacts with brilliantly simple instructions to bring out metal shine from paint wear, rust, dust, mud, you name it. I encourage you to continue and explore. Any 'masterpiece' is just time invested and practice.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

By the way Richard when you start on your next Tiger 1 build :haha: :haha: If you decide on a late model the starting handle is in two pieces and is clamped on the body beside the radio aerial.
I knew you wanted the information :D
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

PainlessWolf wrote:Silver,
Firstly, your Tamiya is more accurate a build right out of the box than Taigen or Heng Long ( They have taken giant strides in catching up tho' ) and makes a beautiful version of the early Tiger 1 that can be enjoyed as is. I am glad to see that you didn't rest on your laurels and went on to extra steps to make your tank a thing apart from the kit version. As far as weathering, a simple pin wash will define the bolt head, rivets, etc. of your tank and give it depth ( I think this is what you were speaking of ). After that, Tamiya makes some excellent weathering compacts with brilliantly simple instructions to bring out metal shine from paint wear, rust, dust, mud, you name it. I encourage you to continue and explore. Any 'masterpiece' is just time invested and practice.
regards,
Painless
I'd add some light grey oils with a hint of blue and do a dry brushing with that, it will really bring out more of the detail if a pin wish is done.
mikef350
Private

Post by mikef350 »

Wow great work matey.just bought my self a Tamiya tiger 1 project off eBay so I am looking forward to starting that
If your not first your last!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Silver,
Your Tiger is looking splendid! A tip for spraying with rattle cans? Get yourself one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-S ... /100670383 Takes the physical and mental stress out of using a rattle can and helps ensure perfect light coats.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thanks for the tip, Painless. I did find it difficult just exerting a light pressure. It seemed to be all or nothing. I will try and track something similar over here on the other side of the pond.

I would also like to thank everyone for their kind comments. It really does make all the trials and tribulations worthwhile.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Resurrecting my old thread. I've just been checking out my Tiger prior to our meeting this Sunday and it is not well :'( . I have no turret rotation. On opening it up, I find one of the set of wires from the turret has somehow found its way into the turret rotation gearbox. Not only that, but it seems that, in the process, it has damaged the gear chain. One gear is flopping around loose and, needless to say, it has lost final drive.

First question. Are these gearboxes repairable? If not, second question. Anyone got one they don't want or know the best place to get a replacement?

Edit: I've found one at Axels for 21.50 euros plus shipping. Anything cheaper?
Richard

Return to “Tiger I”