Radio recommendations

Discuss your radio gear here!
Spartan tracks
Staff Sergeant

Radio recommendations

Post by Spartan tracks »

Hi guys,I wonder could anyone recommend a decant radio I know have some 12 tanks all will be running IBU2 boards, but at the moment I have 12 radios a mix of 18 and 2.4 that take up so much room can you help with a good radio that's easy to set up ? Thanks andy
Jagdpanther 1/6 1st SS
Torro Sturmtiger Clark TK60
Torro Jagdtiger Elmod Pro
Torro Panther G Clark TK60
Torro Panther F Clark TK60
Taigen Tiger 1 Early .....
Torro Jagdpanther TK60
Hooben Elephant Elmod Pro
Torro Tiger 1 Late ...
Torro KIng Tiger .....
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Re: Radio recommendations

Post by Swamprat33 »

hi mate, i use a Planet T5 for most of my 1/16 tanks.
I have 2 transmitters and a receiver in each tank and they auto bind when i switch on.

Others use Spektrum DX6

Cheers
Tim
1/6 Armortek Panther ausf.G
1/6 Armortek Panzer III ausf.J
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Andy Hi,
Ian (TANKBEAR) already sells radios preloaded with Tank rather than Aircraft/Helicopter software,
So as he is our IBU2 dealer it would appear to me to be the first place to go!
shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Andy,

One of the advantages with the IBU2 is it works with every 4/6 channel out there and because of the radio to IBU2 calibration even a rubbish radio can be used with out side effects.

Like Shaun says I sell a load of radios here

http://www.rctankelectronics.com/store/ ... Parts.html

I started using the planet T5, but now selling mine because too basic compared to other newer cheaper systems.
Pros - Basic features so very easy to setup for a new person to radios. Only uses 4 AA batteries and even works well on rechargeable AA's. Return spring kit is available and less than £2
Cons - £50 for radio then £15+ for each receiver afterwards. No suitable for IBU2 Pro as only 5 channels

Then as I was selling IBU2 people moving from RX18 had no experience of hobby grade radios so started offering the 4 & 6 channel hobby king or flysky radios
Pros - Very cheap. 4 Channel basic controls so easy to setup. each brand receiver interchangeable. Receivers £10 or less, can get 2 from china for £15-16
Cons - Poorly made, I've found pots don't always transmit full 100% but like I said above the IBU2 compensates for this via the configuration. 6 channel version needs a programmer lead and plugging into computer to configure (I do this to all radios I sell so work with IBU2). No aftermarket source for return spring kit. At the moment I'm buying a 4 channel radio and breaking it down for parts to sell but not very cost effective.

Turnigy9X/Flysky9x/Turnigy9XR
These are 9 channels radios fully computerised radios with 8 channel receivers. Too many Pro's to list and only Con Is the stick return the 9X is as above radios and can use same part. The 9XR is different but Hobbyking sell a replacement gimbal for only a few £ and is easy to install
I know loads of people run these radios for the tanks, I prefer the above cheap 6 channel radios but no real reason just preference. :S

Upgrade 6 channel radio
I started selling these just before Christmas and are now my fave radio set, small, light computerised system with telemetry (with extra sensors can send info back to controller like voltage, speed etc)
Pros - Small, light, uses 4 AA batteries which appear to last forever (i'm still on first set in two months!) back lit digital display, can assign switchs or pots to channels 5&6 of receiver. receivers £6-10. can link 20 models in it's memory
Cons - no return spring set available yet. not quite same amount of settings as the 9x radios but close.

I know at end of day it's down to your own preference, from my experience and seeing how tech is moving on I say go for the Turnigy 9XR Pro (ask before you buy as you need extra bits, like a module) or the upgraded 6 channel. Both quite new tech and computerised so a firmware update can give you more features in the future and are suitable for most rc models not just tanks.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Spartan tracks
Staff Sergeant

Post by Spartan tracks »

Hi again Ian would you be able to pm me a price for a 9xr with all the bits and I'll use the elephant as the Guineapig if you know what I mean??? Lol Andy
Jagdpanther 1/6 1st SS
Torro Jagdpanther TK60
Torro Tiger 1 Late ...
Torro KIng Tiger .....
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Andy,

I don't have any 9xr to sell just 9x. It's possible to update the firmware on the 9x to make it tank friendly but by the time you've bought the bits the newer 9xr or 9xr pro is a better radio for the price.

I'm off out soon, but when I get back in a post links to the newer 9xr.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Spartan tracks
Staff Sergeant

Post by Spartan tracks »

Cheers Ian
Jagdpanther 1/6 1st SS
Torro Jagdpanther TK60
Torro Tiger 1 Late ...
Torro KIng Tiger .....
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Andy

he's the 9XR Pro radio

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... dule_.html

you also need battery

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... Search=9xr

This is a LiPo battery, but is designed so can be slow charged slowly through the transmitter with a regular dc supply

Now that's the radio. But you need a module which is the communication bit from radio to the receiver. Here you have a few to choose from most offer same functions but not all work with each other so here I suggest a module which works with cheap receivers as you need a lot of receivers.

Orange module (uses orange/spektrum receivers)
http://www.rctankelectronics.com/store/ ... eiver.html.
Receivers are about £8.50 each
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... ouse_.html

FlySky module
http://www.rctankelectronics.com/store/ ... eiver.html
This module works with hobbyking, flysky and turnigy receivers so lots of choice
£8 6 channel
£7.40 8 channel
I've also got a load of receivers i'm selling which work with the flysky module

I use to use the flysky module because of the large amount of cheap receivers available but recently switched to FrSky. Reason I did this is it offers model matching. What's model matching? well basically you can have multiply models stored on your radio and multiply receivers bind to the radio, but if two tanks are turned on at the same time the controller with control both at the same time. Not a problem for some people but some people have multiple tanks turned on at same time. So with model matching offered by the FrSky means if you select tank A on controller only tank A receiver works.

The FrSky is nice but expensive, I bought my module and 4 receivers from hobbyking international store (UK dont have) cost £108 then got hit by £32 import charge. Further more there is 3 versions available (Eur, Ame, Jap) there don't work with each other without changing the firmware, not difficult to do but an extra task to do for the feature.

Hopefully not confused you too much there.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121864388480? ... EBIDX%3AIT

radio and battery