Tamiya 1/35 vintage motorized models

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
toshik
Private

Tamiya 1/35 vintage motorized models

Post by toshik »

Randomly I come across so-called "motorized" versions from my childhood time (1970-s). What are they? Is there just a gearbox with motor connected to some kind of battery holder?
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Tamiya 1/35 vintage motorized models

Post by ALPHA »

toshik wrote:Randomly I come across so-called "motorized" versions from my childhood time (1970-s). What are they? Is there just a gearbox with motor connected to some kind of battery holder?
I had some back in the day Toshik....some were just direct drive...metal gearbox connected to a battery area...when you turned it on ..it would run in one direction only...usually pulling off to the side....then there were the remote versions..steel gearboxes...wired remote....wish I still had those...the gearboxes would work well in some tight area builds ;)

ALPHA
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by greengiant »

I built one of the motorized versions with the tethered remote that you could steer with, it even had working torsion bar suspension made of plastic rods. Ruined it when dust got into the rod holes when driving in dirt and the suspension quite working, managed to work the dirt out then used a non plastic friendly oil to try to keep the dirt out. Ended up with all the torsion bars melting wherever the oil was on them.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

greengiant wrote:I built one of the motorized versions with the tethered remote that you could steer with, it even had working torsion bar suspension made of plastic rods. Ruined it when dust got into the rod holes when driving in dirt and the suspension quite working, managed to work the dirt out then used a non plastic friendly oil to try to keep the dirt out. Ended up with all the torsion bars melting wherever the oil was on them.
8O ...Need to know....did you blow it up???? :D .....When a tank got messed up....it always met with a honorable ending...a firecracker down the hatch :haha:

ALPHA

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”