How to wire a simple LED on a receiver

Discuss your radio gear here!
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

How to wire a simple LED on a receiver

Post by MichaelC »

Hi all,

Try to wire up an LED on/off from a Turnigy/Hobbyking 9X receiver. On the radio I have set-up a switch, but on the receiver side the wiring doesn't make sense. If I take the middle wire (5V+) with either the signal or the Neg(-) the LED stays lid although not at full brightness. If I take the signal and the Neg(-) I get nothing, whatever the switch position is.

Is this even doable ?

MichaelC.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: How to wire a simple LED on a receiver

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Michael,

I would say putting a resistor in series with the LED and connecting to the +/- pins on the receiver but this will only light up when power to the receiver.

If you want it switching from a spare radio channel it gets a little more complicated. The signal sends pulses so cannot directly connect. But a cheap and easy solution exists. Get a cheap micro servo, take to bits and cut off the motor. Connect LED (with resistor) to the motor wires. Now a bit of trial and error turn the potentiometer until you get the desired switching effect from the radio i.e. if it’s simple switching it most likely be fully one way or the other. When your happy I normally glue the potentiometer to stop it moving then cover it and the servo PCB with heat shrink.

There you have a simple low power switch. You can also do a reverse light by setting the potentiometer mid way and Y cable to the throttle channel.

Hope that helps.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :shifty: ...........Have to ask Michael....Why do you need to do such a thing 8O ...I know you use different equipment in your tanks...but most RTRs already have a light connected to the RX ...in fact four ;) ....Headlights and Taillights ...which switch on...whenever I engage the switch for the Power ...but don't tell anyone think it's a secret :shh:

ALPHA
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I guess this will do it......

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=46040
46040(1).jpg
46040(1).jpg (94.68 KiB) Viewed 1633 times

Return to “Radio Gear”