Mid Production Mongrel

andy_01732
Recruit

Mid Production Mongrel

Post by andy_01732 »

Thought I would share my build of a mid Tiger. Bought from Ebay a job lot of parts including a Tamiya Turret with metal barrel and several copies and parts from the Hachette part works. The aim is to build as cheap and use as many of the Hachette parts as possible. Purchased a new Tiger and attacked it with the dremel. Moved the turret ring to its correct location. Cut the whole of the back out and inserted the Hachette rear deck. Loved the front metal plate so made more cuts and inserted this too. Wanted my Tiger to look battle damaged and war weary so off came the majority of track guards.

Wanted a rough texture on all the bear metal so used Dulux Weather Shield textured masonry paint. Fitted the Atak zimmerit to the sides suitable battle damged. Next fitted all the parts I had for the hull. This gave me a problem as I did not have the rear centre deck piece and could not source one. Out with the dremel again and cut the plate from the remains of the Henglong upper hull and trimmed to fit.

Have ordered opening front hatches, hull mg and single head light to finish. Still need to add the track cables.

The Tamiya turret worried me. The good news was it did not have the errors of the Henglong but had a massive turret ring. Did not want to cut this much out of the hull so cut the base from the Henglong Turret and inserted into the Tamiya. Really pleased with the result.

Right, thats it for now but I will keep posting. Any ideas for colour schemes will be appreciated.
Attachments
Turret bottom
Turret bottom
Turret inside with strengthing plates
Turret inside with strengthing plates
Front plate
Front plate
Close up of tools (heads are real metal)
Close up of tools (heads are real metal)
Close up of rear deck
Close up of rear deck
Tamiya turret in situ
Tamiya turret in situ
Access panels fitted
Access panels fitted
Rear deck
Rear deck
View of hull with Hachette rear deck
View of hull with Hachette rear deck
mustclime
Sergeant

Re: Mid Production Mongrel

Post by mustclime »

wow...super clean work man.....very nice.... :thumbup:
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Good Job! Keep it coming.
andy_01732
Recruit

Post by andy_01732 »

Yes its been over a year but finally got round to doing more on the Tiger.

Have decided to base my Tiger on the Fermann Tigers from the very late war. These were literally cobbled together to form a unit which unfortunately got wiped out. The appeal was how haphazard they were and the amount of wear they have.

Hull is almost complete now apart from replacing the plastic brackets on the side with metal and adding some battle damage. Will put a driver in the open hatch. Decided to remove some of the tools and just have the empty brackets and she wont have any cables.

Lower hull has metal suspension arms with metal road wheels, idlers and sprockets. The front half has stiff springs whilst the back has softer so that she slouches at the rear. Apparently this was a common feature to well worn Tigers. Gearboxes are the black metal low ratio ones and tracks are plastic still.......may make the change to metal.

Rear plate is Henglong with all the detail removed and zimmerit added along with details part from the Hatchette series. Made up some brass L shaped tubes so that the smoke still works through the Hatchette exhausts.

The rear fan covers are going to be left held slightly open as this was sometimes done on long journeys to aid cooling. Detail came from a Bandai Stug.

As mentioned before turret is Tamiya with a Henglong base inserted. Gun barrel is the metal Tamiya. Bored the centre out and fitted a Henglong inner barrel so it would fit the Jagdpanther recoil unit. Flash unit is the high intensity one and elevation is by a Stug III unit. Mantlett MG flashes as does hull.

Next job is to fit micro switch to recoil to activate flash etc. Then finish the turret detailing. Hopefully wont be another year when I report next.

Panther Ausf G
Corporal

Post by Panther Ausf G »

Interesting build keep posting the piccy's :thumbup:
We do not stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
This is what is meant when someone says that they are doing a 'build' *chuckles* Yes, please keep up with the pictures on this amazing Tiger 1.
regards,
Painless Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...
Phil
Corporal

Post by Phil »

Loving that build, I think you need to make some vac formed those fan details and send them to me by This weekend!

Shall bookmark this one, keep up the good work.
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Great work Andy, nicely done. Going to watch this one...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

A lot of work done there... good luck.. looks great :D

ALPHA
lister fiend
Sergeant

Post by lister fiend »

Nice 1 Andy :thumbup:
I'd never heard of the fehrmann tigers before.
So Iv'e just read up on them.
I really like your radiators & open hatches, not seen that before either.
Cheers
Lister

Return to “Tiger I”