1/16 Elefant Ludwig/Asiatam

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1/16 Elefant Ludwig/Asiatam

Post by xrad »

Did some more work on the code. I can now see six channels (soon to be 10) all arranged in nice neat rows and columns. Also, set some outputs like CANFIRE Cannon fire channel 5) and T-FULL (full throttle channel 2) when PWM signal is received at right frequency. Still at the very basic level...but working enough to test Tsunami sound board...

And the wiring is getting more spaghetti-like....

Time to celebrate with a good tin of sardines!
Attachments
IMG_2579.JPG
NANO PWM PINMODE 1.JPG
xrad

Post by xrad »

Machined rear center hitch from one piece brass. Sheet metal for the electric motor cooling deflectors. OEM was 3 piece, but easier to make as one. Tow eyes brass and 3D printed centers. Jack and mounts modified from king tiger....
Attachments
IMG_2584.JPG
IMG_2582.JPG
IMG_2581.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Loving the brass work xrad, you're certainly a bit of a renaissance man! I'm looking forward to seeing (hearing?) how your sound experiments go.
xrad

Post by xrad »

Thx! Raminator appreciate the comment. I think that anyone who builds on this site has to have a bit of knowledge of just about everything (painting, mechanics, history, electronics, creativity, artistry, designing, construction, etc..) . Model tanks are a great way to incorporate all these things in a pretty small footprint. Model boats too. Trains, Cars, planes, and other things are lower down on my list.

As far as the sounds, I am still waiting for my Tsunami board. 2 weeks and no show. I can get things faster from China. I was giving some thought to how the accel/decel sounds should play out. I have decided to divide the idle to full throttle in segments of stable rpm/pitch so that it is easier to code rather than overlapping a dedicated variable acceleration sound. This way, if you hold the throttle position say at half throttle, you will already be at the appropriate rpm sound and can just hold the stick here and the track will loop relatively seamlessly. This is different than an infinitely adjustable sound generator program/chip, which usually sounds very 'electronic.'

The alternative is an actual accelerating sound track which overlaps as you 'up stick' with a dedicated RPM track. This is more complex to code because I have to add multiple 'stop' track and overlapping fades . It's really not so much the coding as it is the ability of the processor to run through the program loop fast enough to trigger the Tsunami in a seamless fashion. On these small processors and with my basic code, the code has to run in a loop with minimal interrupts or playback is interrupted. I can get away with 10ms triggers per track in the code to the Tsunami, but if you add 10 throttle steps, that could be 100ms which you may hear as a slight pause on fast throttle up. If I add something like a 'debounce' to the steps, I could skip certain steps on throttle up or down if the stick is moved quickly, but this also adds a delay in itself. Things like CANFIRE and MG are easy to incorporate but also add to the delay in processing. Also, every time I send a serial.print in the code, this adds a delay as well. The Tsunami side is easier as it will only receive serial triggers one after the other but also can add 10ms per track for each trigger. Currently, I am using one of the fastest cheapest processors, a 32 bit ARM m4 72mhz on a teensy 3.2.

Another thought is to really focus on the throttle sounds using the tsunami/teensy and for all other sounds, just use a transistor switch wired from the OPTCB outputs to Tsunami trigger inputs, for things like cannon, lights....etc (but this is more wiring and not so smooth functionally) Anyway, fun stuff to figure out.....

Basic sounds:
IDLE LOOP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piGIMMeNRMM

THROTTLE DOWN IDLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfwdlXcQOoc
xrad

Post by xrad »

at paint station....few more details to go..

rear hitch plate is bigger than oem due to the way I have it hiding the two pre-cut slots in the hull. It will be mostly hidden by the jack.
Attachments
IMG_2585.JPG
IMG_2586.JPG
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

What an absolute joy to watch Mr Xrad, and thanks for picking up where you left off after time.
These things are just leviathans in 16th and even more imposing in real life.
Watching on :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
xrad

Post by xrad »

Hi Herman! Thx for the post! You are correct. And it is really cool to see all the necessary designs to get the whole Elefant tank operational. I finally got my 16 Channel SBUS to PWM code functioning :D So basically, I can now divide throttle position into any number of steps needed to play .wav files. I have figured out how to add a timer delay into the main gun CANFIRE section of the code without adding a delay to the code (which is not an easy task for someone who does not do this often). Say you fire the main gun, well then there is a 3+ second delay before you can fire again. If you try to fire again before this, well then you are back on the 3+ second waiting list. Would definitely add some tension to IR gaming! I guess I could also write into the code a limit of 60 shots, but comprehensive tank code is not what I am after.

The rest of the code is really pretty simple, just ON/OFF to trigger .wav files. The Tsunami .wav board never arrived and I think it got lost in the mail. I have requested another be sent. Hopefully I am not out 79$!

Here is a pic of the serial monitor:
Attachments
PWM code working.JPG
xrad

Post by xrad »

Did some washes and some color....few more details to go... lighting terrible for pics...

Tracks are a bit snug, had to take out one link. They will loosen up with a bit of use, and I can further loosen the tensioner .
Attachments
IMG_2597.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2587.JPG
xrad

Post by xrad »

a few more details.....
Attachments
IMG_2603.JPG
IMG_2602.JPG
IMG_2605.JPG
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Fantastic job :thumbup: love the inner workings picture. You have done an amazing bit of work :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”