Cadillac Gage V-150 Commando with 90mm gun turret - Build

Postby lmcq11 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:36 am

Hi,

As I was going for a few days to the family farm, I brought along my new project, a V-150 Commando with a Cockerill 90mm gun turret. I like nature, nice views and doing modelling outside during a beautiful autumn weekend is a way to combine everything for a perfect time.

First, some picture of the planned build. The V-150 Commando was sold around the world to Army, Police and Para-military forces. Very few pictures of the model with 90mm gun are available.

Here in Thailand service.

Capture.JPG
RC 1/16 V-150 Commando with 90mm Cockerill gun turret

Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (55.12 KiB) Viewed 691 times

Good view with MG3 machine gun mount.

Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (98.64 KiB) Viewed 691 times

Saudi Arabia National Guard.

Capture5.JPG

Unknown location

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (83.38 KiB) Viewed 691 times

I did a V-100 Commando in Vietnam markings about two years ago (pic below), the build is somewhere in this section. The Ludwig basic kit was mounted onto a first generation WPL M-35 truck chassis with a scratch built turret.

Two years later, the availability of new metal upgrades prompts me to create a new version, this time with the larger and more impressive 90mm gun, and a totally different type of integration.

Capture5d.JPG
RC 1/16 V-100 Commando

To compensate the lack of references on the 90mm gun turret, I will be helped by the Verlinden and Hobby Boss 1/35 kits. I do not know which one is the most accurate but I will be comparing both during the build.

Capture5a.JPG
Capture5a.JPG (65.04 KiB) Viewed 691 times

Capture5b.JPG
Capture5b.JPG (95.23 KiB) Viewed 691 times

The Chris Ludwig 1/16 V-150 will be used again, this time with the available turret. Partly advertised as an M1117 model, this kit is really a V-150 Commando because the M1117 is larger and has a different body. A 20mm cannon is also advertised with the turret but this turret is for the Cockerill 90mm gun. The V-150 turret with 20mm gun has a different shape.

Capture5c.JPG

The drive train will be the WPL all metal axle upgrade and the Metal Gearbox w/370 Brush Motor Transfer available for a few dollars through eBay from China. I also purchase different drive shafts types, the ones seen below attached to the gearbox and axles were later discarded as being too fragile.

Capture6.JPG

The build starts on the following post.

Regards, Louis

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:57 am

As mentioned in earlier post, this will be a much different integration of the running gear with the Ludwig hull than what was done with the V100 Commando build.

The lower hull is constructed as per instructions, a task that takes a nice Canadian autumn whole afternoon. Everything needs to be strait and solid.

Capture8.JPG

Capture10.JPG

The shaft of the gearbox is too long and need to be cut, with the groove recreated with a file. It only takes a few minutes.

Capture11.JPG

Shown here is my installation of the 370/Motor/Gearbox within the lower hull.

Capture11a.JPG

Capture12.JPG

Notice the stronger drive shaft that gives me better confidence than the earlier version shown in the previous post. Take note that I have not done test drives at this time so I do not know if this runs well or not yet.

Capture13.JPG
Capture13.JPG (71.47 KiB) Viewed 687 times

Capture14.JPG
Capture14.JPG (81.29 KiB) Viewed 687 times

View from under the hull. The heavy metal axles were installed using the regular WPL leaf spring suspension. But I ordered additional springs in order to reinforce these simple ones. The axles mountings are a bit larger than the bottom of the humm so I had to add a plasticard strip under the leaf spring screw in order to fix it solidly.

Capture14a.JPG

Notice that the tip of the leaf spring has not been anchored. I am awaiting the stronger leaf spring (on order) before finalizing the axle installation.

Capture15.JPG

Be aware that the installation of the axles requires a bit of planning. They need to be centered and also at the right height. With this first step completed, the engine tests can start before going further.

Capture16.JPG

Regards, Louis

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:08 am

Hi, continuing with the build

The leaf spring suspension is anchored to the hull using modified and much reduced WPL plastic anchors.

Capture.JPG

This model is not a truck, it is a combat vehicle with 90mm gun turret. So, i cannot just put an ESC in it to drive around. I am therefore installing the Clark TK40 control board with S Bus that was initially ordered for the M48A3 build and just received it. The TK40 is advertised with a CN7 port identified as an ultrasonic ESC. I ensured the setting was at the lowest voltage possible. It runs really well and smooth with the Brush motor. I ran the vehicle for 5 minutes in the basement and the motor is not even warm, so it must be compatible. A WPL servo provides directions by assigning it to channel 6 and to the VRA knob on the remote for now. I found that the S Bus version has less cables but offer less options to reassign channels. Attached is a short video of the first engine trials with the TK40.

https://youtu.be/Dm9clrLZx6I

Using the TK40, the V-150 armored car will have the following RC features;
- Forward, Reverse, Left turn, Right turn
- Leopard 1 Diesel engine sound
- Turret rotation and sound
- 90mm gun elevation and sound
- 90mm gun recoil, sound and flash with additional hull recoil effect on wheels
- 7.62mm Coax machine gun flash and sound
- WPL Electric winch
- Head lights
- Tail lights
- Turret search light

Capture2.JPG

The lower hull parts are assembled, i went well but there are multiple gaps to fill.

Capture3.JPG

The largest gaps are filled with plasticard pieces, and putty is applied all around.

Capture4.JPG

The vehicle is large but the wheel housings leave few efficient locations to install the electronics.

Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG (84.48 KiB) Viewed 593 times

All main joints are sanded. The rounded main hull joint around the vehicle is reproduced.

Capture6.JPG

Getting to a smooth finish requires the putty and sanding steps to be repeated many times, and there is always a little thing to fix here and there.

Capture7.JPG

The Hobby Boss and Verlinden kits are compared to the Ludwig model. The Hobby Boss kit is a bit longr than the Verlinden resin kit and is a better match to the Ludwig model. Both V150 models show the rear roof hatch to be a rounded hole. The Ludwig square hatch has therefore been permanently plugged and will be replaced by the rounded hatch.

Capture9.JPG

The Verlinden and Hobby Boss turrets are very similar. Both show a rounded commander cupola and a loader hatch that is not aligned. The Ludwig turret roof part on the right with its 2 side by side imaginary shaped hatches will therefore need to be replaced by a totally new turret top arrangement. The whole part will be replaced.

Capture8.JPG

Next step, the turret core.

Regards,
Louis

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi

Here is the turret core

The turret images from the Ludwig online instructions are not inspiring. Chris would certainly benefit from the improvement of some parts and their assembly. The frontal parts for the mantlet are also inverted.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (50.8 KiB) Viewed 546 times

References and both Verlinden and Hobby Boss 1/35 kits show overlapping armor plates that need to be reproduced for accuracy.

Capture2.JPG

This is pretty much as far as I went with the kit parts, the rest is scratch built, including all the front parts. An overlayed turret back plate is also installed.

Capture3.JPG

The design of interlocking joints is also unnecessary as it creates a lot of extra work for the modeller that has to fill in all the gaps they create, with limited solidity benefits. Gaps are filled with plasticard residue strips and dust, and poured with superglue before sanding and polishing. A plasticard 4mm thick additional turret bottom ring is added. Superglue is an excellent filler.

Capture4.JPG

The new turret frontal armor arrangement. Angles and dimensions were extrapolated from the 1/35 kits.

Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG (98.88 KiB) Viewed 546 times

The right location of the mantlet pivot axle is something the modeller need to figure out once the turret main parts are assembled and the mantlet is created from scratch. Temporary axles are installed as the mantlet need to be easily removable throughout construction. The final axles and the filling of the location holes will be done later.

Capture6.JPG

The mantlet and the 90mm Cockerill gun are not provided with the kit and must be scratch built from references and material available to the modeller. A 14mm wide brass tube is used in the mantlet.

Capture7.JPG

Overlapping Brass and aluminum tubes of various sizes are used to design and create the gun and recoil mechanism. The smaller recoiling brass tube is 7mm thick. A good reserve of tubes is required, including the somewhat rare 9mm wide tube.

Capture8.JPG

Gun assembly, all scratch.

Capture9.JPG

Capture10.JPG

Continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:42 pm

Mantlet and main gun parts are installed on the turret. The complex gun muzzle will be created and added later.

Capture11.JPG

Access to the turret electronics will be done through the turret roof that is removable and kept in place with magnets.

Capture11a.JPG

A new turret roof part is created, overlapping the sides a bit, as per references.

Capture11b.JPG

Look and feel of the turret placed on top of the chassis, looking good.

Capture12.JPG

Manually checking gun elevation before installing electronics. I'll see if I can make it go a bit higher.

Capture12a.JPG

Manually checking gun depression, looking good. An AFV vehicle often tasked with maintaining civil order needs to show it can shoot low.

Capture12b.JPG

Overall view of the model as it stands today

Capture13.JPG

Next step is to create the gun recoil mechanism, elevation system and install the turret on the chassis. Overall, this is going well and will results in a rare animal.

Regards, Louis

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby square4 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:18 pm

Impressive modelling skills on show and the build is looking good. :clap:
square4
Private

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Rare is an understatement!!
I’d love to visit your collection, just to see what can be achieved by one man in his own house !
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:24 pm

A brilliant showcase of model making again, Louis! :clap:
The location of the family farm also has much to commend it. :thumbup:
My house has a comparable view. I'm situated on a hillside, above a sea loch, with a range of mountains (Torridon mountains) in the background. Enjoy your escape, and that wonderful light :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby lmcq11 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:34 am

Hi, thank you very much for your compliments.

Here are the muzzle brake and turret electronics with a video at the end of the post, minus the coax machine gun as I am awaiting a fibre optic order.

This is the V150 90mm muzzle brake seen on the Hobby Boss 1/35 cover. It looks complicated at first but after some study and a review of the material available, it is actually simple to reproduce with basic tools and some tubing.

Capture6.JPG
RC 1/16 V-150 V150 Cadillac Gage Commando with 90mm Cockerill gun turret

First, the base muzzle part is made with Brass and Plasticard tube.

Capture7.JPG

A metal hand file is used to carefully grind 6 grooves, 3 on each sides, the process took about 35 minutes.

Capture8.JPG

A connector is made to install on the brass gun.

Capture9.JPG

The muzzle brake is installed with a 5mm LED for gun flash with resistor. Fresh from the grinder, it needs some fine tuning and polishing when I will have a cooler head.

Capture10.JPG

Close up, the LED for gun flash can be seen.

Capture11.JPG
Capture11.JPG (96.1 KiB) Viewed 500 times

For turret rotation, a large VEX Robotics gear is used with a standard Heng Long rotation unit. The wheel is made hollow with the Dremel in order for the elevation unit and cables to move freely. Although Ludwigs provide plasticard inward dented rotation halves that can be assembled for a rotation wheel, use of it is definitely not recommended because it is weak and you might not be able to glue it totally round on the turret base, creating major issues and waste of time. It is highly recommended to use a VEX robotics gear and I will always be grateful to Carl for having pointed them to me. These are available for a few dollars at RobotShop.com.

Capture.JPG

The Heng Long rotation using is installed at the back of the vehicle, and glued under the roof support strut and reinforced in place once the optimal location is determined after trials with the turret.

Capture2.JPG

The VEX gear is installed on top of two additional layers of plasticard rings, required to get to the proper height with the rotation unit. These are actually the Ludwig rotation halves used as a spacer.

Capture3.JPG

View of the rotation arrangement, working very well and smoothly.

Capture4.JPG

Continuing on following post.

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 am

View of the custom made recoil and elevation units.

Capture5.JPG

Turret field trials, see Youtube video below

https://youtu.be/hFsH4V5WCGo

Capture12.JPG

Regards, Louis

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby Von Mooflesaaa » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Jeez that is impressive, the level of scratch building is great, been watching and following with great interest. If I may, where did you get the plans and how did you scale them so that you could build such a perfect machine from scratch?

Von Mooflesaaa
Private

Postby lmcq11 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:13 pm

Von Mooflesaaa wrote:If I may, where did you get the plans and how did you scale them so that you could build such a perfect machine from scratch?

Hi, this is the Chris Ludwig basic kit, see link below. At 98 Euros (minus the 19% VAT for non European), its one of its least expensible and complicated kit to build. As a basic kit, it provides the core shell of the vehicle in plasticard plates. The dimensions are comparing well to the 1/35 kit, but you have to use references and scratch building skills to fill the gaps. I usually take measurements in mm from a good 1/35 kit (gun length, width, mantlet size, turret lenght, etc) and use the following formula to extrapolate to 1/16 dimensions (1/35 kit measurement divided by 1/35, then divided by 16). For the powertrain, I recommend scavenging available WPL truck upgrade material on the market and use imagination in adapting it to the shell. For modellers who expect parts to match perfectly and cannot handle 1 or 2mm trench like gaps between parts and interlocking joints, then Ludwig kits are not for you.

It is my second 1/16 Commando model. I created different versions and also adapted a different running gear on both. This is the fun part of a Ludwig build. After a couple of Ludwig builds, it is difficult to go back to regular mainstream kits and feel challenged.

http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/M1117 ... 0Gage.html

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi,

Here is turret update.

After analysis, i decided to reuse the Ludwig hatches by rounding some corners, and also decided to reuse their base. They are cut from the discarded Ludwig turret roof and prepared to be transposed on the new turret roof.

Capture.JPG

Grinding plasticard with a hard (cement type) file allows for better precision. It slowly remove plasticard material by burning it instead of chipping, and it makes no dust. The new position on the commander's cupola is prepared.

Capture2.JPG

Here is the new turret roof, with a commander's cupola and the gunner's hatch slightly put backyard as per references.

Capture3.JPG

The commander's cupola is made of plasticard roundels. Easily made with the right dimensions by borrowing your kid's geometry kit. The periscope on the commander's cupola is a Shapeways US M17 type Periscope with a plasticard cover on top.

Capture4.JPG

The Ludwig hinges can be used but must be reduced in size and adapted to match references.

Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG (76.95 KiB) Viewed 407 times

This is the gunner's sight made of solid plasticard plate glued and filed to match the shape. 1.2mm brass rods were used for the guards, assembled with superglue and then polished. Its more solid than any soldering that I would be able to manage.

Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG (98.51 KiB) Viewed 407 times

The coax machine gun is made of brass tube and 1mm fibre optics. Notice the cable holder, purchased from Robotshop.com at the same time as the fibre. Its works well in keeping the 5mm LED aligned with the fiber, its worth the 50 cents.

Capture7.JPG

The coax machine gun, of an undetermined type, is installed.

Capture8.JPG

Capture9.JPG
Capture9.JPG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 407 times

The V150 in Royal Thai Army service are equipped with a German MG3 machine gun on the commander's cupola. The base is scratch built and I tried to mimic it the best I could.

Capture10.JPG
Capture10.JPG (95.14 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:35 pm

The MG3 and mount viewed from the other side

Capture11.JPG

The turret basket is a good challenge, here is the Hobby Boss 1/35 kit basket used as reference. Notice the angles.

Capture12.JPG

I temporarily put a plasticard base with two drop of superglue for the telescopic building of the turret basket. The brass parts are solidly resting on the plasticard strip, the time for the individual components to be created and glue to dry.

Capture13.JPG
Capture13.JPG (94.26 KiB) Viewed 404 times

The turret basket is raised telescopically, one part at a time, checking all angles as it go up, it went very well.

Capture14.JPG

Capture15.JPG

The finished turret basket, a two hour delicate operation. Not perfect but looking good. I will polish the brass once the superglue is fully dried.

Capture16.JPG

The searchlight mounted on the mantlet is a metal T34 searchlight, dressed up to look similar to the one on the V150 1/35 kit.

Capture17.JPG
Capture17.JPG (99.73 KiB) Viewed 404 times

Capture18.JPG

The visors are made of plasticard, dimensions taken from 1/35 kit. They fully cover the location holes on the model.

Capture11a.JPG
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:39 pm

Turret visors are in place

Capture19.JPG

There is only one visor on the other side of the turret, the Ludwig hole need to be plugged and make smooth.

Capture20.JPG

Overview of the model as it stands today. Remaining to be created are the smoke grenade dischargers and the antenna bases.

Capture21.JPG

Capture22.JPG

Time to rest.

Capture23.JPG

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:32 am

Hi,

With the main components and electronics figured out, assembled and tested, the rest of the build will be more relaxed with low risks detailing.

Installing the gutters around the doors and hatches.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (94.8 KiB) Viewed 362 times

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (99.61 KiB) Viewed 362 times

Installing the Shapeways MX6707 US antenna bases at the rear of the turret. They looked good on the M48A3 build so I ordered more of these. Will be useful for upcoming M113s.

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Started to build the doors and hatches. I saw no point in making operating doors since there is no interior.

Capture6.JPG

Inspection of the WPL motorized winch components for adaptation and internal installation into the slot at the front of the V150 Commando. As with the real vehicle, the winch maintenance hatch above it will be useful. This electric winch is available for a few dollars on eBay and is a nice diversion.

Capture7.JPG

The vehicle as it stands today. This is going to be a good looking Armored Fighting Vehicle. I wish WPL could create AFVs instead of N variants of truck chassis. I personally find that wheeled combat vehicle are much more interesting to build and operate than simple trucks to drive around.

Capture8.JPG

Regards,

Louis

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi, here is the frontal winch.

The winch can be seen here on the left of the lower front armored plate.

Capture0.JPG
Capture0.JPG (24.41 KiB) Viewed 292 times

The WPL winch can be purchased on eBay for a few dollars.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (78.24 KiB) Viewed 292 times

The outer frame and rollers of the winch need to be scratch built.

Capture2.JPG

The winch has been assembled as per instructions but I removed two of the rollers as they have been replaced by custom ones, and cut a few un-needed brackets. A metal chain has replaced the provided cable.

Capture3.JPG

The winch is installed inside the model with simple brackets, it just slides into place and can be removed if needed through the maintenance hatch.

Capture4.JPG

The winch maintenance hatch is scratch built and provided with working hinges and closing latch.

I connected the winch to the TK40 gun elevation motor wires 5 and 6 of CN9 and is activation with the left stick up and down, which give the little chuck chuck chuck sound.

For gun elevation, the servo has been directly connected to channel 6 and is assigned the VRa knob instead of being controlled by the TK40 through sticks. I find that this arrangement provides better control over the gun elevation, but it mainly allows me to control the winch as well.

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG (73.66 KiB) Viewed 292 times

Capture7.JPG
Capture7.JPG (81.99 KiB) Viewed 292 times

Capture8.JPG

Here is the final look of the winch arrangement. The operation of the winch needs to be done carefully as to not burn the small motor or damage the gears. It add a cool RC component to the model. I'll replace the plastic WPL hook by a smaller metal one on order.

Capture9.JPG

Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:57 pm

You’re really getting the hang of this now mate :crazy:
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 pm

That winch is an excellent addition to an already stash out build.
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:30 pm

8O ...not normally lost for words, but I'm running out of superlatives for yours :clap: Stupendous will have to do, for the moment. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Next

Return to Modern builds