El-mod with HL flash unit

Here is the place to talk about everything El-Mod! Help with installing and upgrading ect.
jrc
Corporal

El-mod with HL flash unit

Post by jrc »

I have the el-mod ECO and want to connect the HL flash unit.
However the flash unit comes with a 5 pin plug and a 2 pin socket.
The ECO board has a corresponding 5 pin socket, fine, but also has a 2 pin socket :problem: :wtf:
I can easily change the 2 pin socket on the flash unit to a 2 pin plug BUT which wire goes where :think:
Anybody done it?
we fight not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom, which no honest man gives up but with his life.
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: El-mod with HL flash unit

Post by Johnf »

I do not have much knowledge about these things but I fitted Elmod Eco to my tiger 1 recently. I am using the Asia tam recoil elevation unit with high voltage flash unit. Is this what you are using? All wired to socket at rear of hull and connected to Elmod with turret connector cable. I should have the wiring instructions for this setup if you have the Asiatam recoil. If I can locate the email I can send it to you. Where did you buy your Elmod. Seller may have the answer. I buy from rctank.de and Dominique could not be more helpful.
jrc
Corporal

Post by jrc »

hi Johnf
It's just the HL flash I'm fitting to the elmod at the moment. I've fitted a flash unit to rx-18 boards before and you only use one of the wires from the 2 pin socket to make it work. The elmod uses both and I don't want to fit them wrong way round, could be expensive.
The elmod ECO I bought from elmod
thanks
Ross
we fight not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom, which no honest man gives up but with his life.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Hi , I'm just looking at Elmod instructions. There are 2 sockets on the Elmod board. One 5 pin socket described as Heng long muzzle flash,Asiatam recoil unit and pc configuration and a two pin socket next to it described as Heng long muzzle flash. Did you get the instructions with your unit. I'm afraid I'm not much use to you as neither of my tanks came with Heng long turret electrics. Wibblywobbly is sure to know what to do. He is an expert on the Elmod.
Last edited by Johnf on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrc
Corporal

Post by jrc »

hi John

there are 2 connectors on the elmod board for the flash unit. It's info on the 2 pin connector I need. Yes I have all the elmod instructions but the flash unit has the wrong type of connector.

jr
jrc
Corporal

Post by jrc »

come on lads, somebody must have done it, is there no help . . . . . ;)

ross
xrad

Post by xrad »

Two wires on HL flash unit trigger the flash by closing a circuit(you can jump them and it fires off). The ELmod board two pin MAY just be the micro switch you need. If it is just a microswitch, it does not matter which way they are hooked up...

I have not personally done this connection, so only educated guess. You may have to carve fit the connector or get the correct style...Maybe Tammy aftermarket 2 pin connector...this is really a common electronic part likely found on the net electronic stores..
jrc
Corporal

Post by jrc »

hi xrad
yes I already have a plug to put on. I just don't want to risk the elmod by experimenting. I found on the HL that you only need to connect up one of the two wires to activate it so it's not a micro switch.
I emailed elmod where I got it but heard zilch.
I suppose it'll have to wait till some other brave soul tries it.

thanks anyway
ross
xrad

Post by xrad »

how did you hook up the wire..if to 'ground' then a grounded 'electronic /micro' switch will activate it(hence the two wire back to flash board)

just check out the elmod wiring diagram for description of socket

http://www.el-mod.de/pdf/ECO_english.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wired my (HL brown/yellow) two wire from the larger 5 wire flash plug directly to a microswitch activated by the mechanical recoil mechanism in my JP. Like stated above, if you jump the HL B/Y two wire plug, the flash will fire. The elmod plug acts as an electronic 'micro switch' to fire the flash in synch with the recoil.

to proove it, just charge the flash and touch the two lead HL plug jumping the wires and the flash fires off.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I contacted the guy I buy from this evening. He is usually helpful. I will let you know if he replies.

Return to “El-Mod”