RAL 8000 Green Brown, the Real stuff!

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

RAL 8000 Green Brown, the Real stuff!

Post by MrChef »

Behold the holy grail of early war pre-Dunkelgelb "RAL 7028" base armor paint it's the RAL 8000 "Green Brown". It's the same color found on Tiger 131. During my research I also found that it was the same base painted to the Das Reich Tigers delivered in February '43 for the one I modeled 822 which became S13.

In my search for accurate RAL colored paints for my S13 build I came across a company in the states that custom mixes RAL paint colors in all sorts of quantity and volume. They also offer them in 4oz. and 12oz. spray cans that are 1/3 the cost of Tamiya TS spray paint. I was curious if this would be a good option as a base coat at the least. My concerns mainly were the opacity and how it would behave with fine details since it is not a model industry marketed item. It is a "Modified Alkyd Acrylic Enamel". I've had good luck using Rustoleum Primers thus far so after a quick email with an equally quick response I was assured that when applied correctly it would be just fine for maintaining details at least for 1/16 scale. It's marketed as an industrial paint for plastic and metal. It has a quick drying time and self levels well when applied in smooth even progressive coats.

One of the coolest things is the spray nozzle which allows quite a bit of control and manipulation. Lightyears better than any other spray can nozzle I've used yet.

Dry time was super quick. To touch in 15 mins and that means dry, no tacky feel to touch. Dry to be handled within about 1 hour and fully cured in 5 days. I had actually painted the Rustoleum primer and Tamiya TS paints first on other items and when I was done with this stuff it's 15-30 min wait time was drier in comparison to the TS and primer that were still tacky. 55 degrees F, 60% humidity with clouds.

So with nice even coats this stuff is super for coverage. I ordered the matte and it has a slight sheen which will be perfect to apply decals to.

Now yes an airbrush will be coming soon eventually But having a company custom mix a real RAL 8000 really hooked me. They also offer the paint in liquid form from 8oz. up. I'm not sure how well it would work through a modelers airbrush but it is used for industrial airbrush painting.

FWIW I did spray it outside in the yard and let it out gas for 2 hours before bringing everything inside. It does have that freshly painted smell but it's not obnoxious like the Testors Dullcote Lacquer.

Just thought I'd share.
Last edited by MrChef on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: RAL 8000 Green Brown, the Real stuff!

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

So, unh, is this the paint company: https://www.crosslinkpaints.com/ ?
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:03 am So, unh, is this the paint company: https://www.crosslinkpaints.com/ ?
Yes sir.
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Great to know about this source :thumbup: as no an airbrush is not in my future as I might at most have 2 more builds/redos left :D
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Panzermechaniker wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:52 am Great to know about this source :thumbup: as no an airbrush is not in my future as I might at most have 2 more builds/redos left :D

I'll pick pictures where the color is the most realistic.

FWIW the color looks exactly like Tiger 131.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Looks nice. I had looked at that site since it's here in TX if I remember correctly. I ended up ordering some green and red brown from them. I was disappointed they didn't have Dunkelgelb RAL 7028.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Of course, Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 is said to have changed throughout the war. I think AK Interactive makes three versions allegedly matching three variants from during the war. I have no idea on just what dates the changes of Dunkelgelb occurred nor whether these were, indeed, RAL authorized variants or just sun-tanned ones. :S
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Also Mr. Chef your weld lines on the turret look great as usual. I'm so lazy. I know how to do them as I have done them on some of my tanks but another rebuild/repaint this week and I couldn't be bothered smh
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

If I recall correctly ( :lolno: ), MrChef, you used what you called Bix's technique for welds. Is that correct? Can you steer me to the exact page among Herman's umptyzillion? Or would you like to do a lesson in 1/16 welding?
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:31 am If I recall correctly ( :lolno: ), MrChef, you used what you called Bix's technique for welds. Is that correct? Can you steer me to the exact page among Herman's umptyzillion? Or would you like to do a lesson in 1/16 welding?
Oh no I'm not nearly as cruel to my tanks as Mr. Bix is with his sharp and hot torture devices.

I use Greenstuff 2 part epoxy for mine. Same as I did with Winter Tiger 822.

I actually got my inspiration from good ole Mr. Burger_patrol: viewtopic.php?p=337924#p337924

I found helpful video from Martin Kovac aka Uncle Nightshift on Youtube:
phpBB [video]

And Thank you Panzermech and Herr Dr. for noticing. Funny thing I wanted to do the welding but I wasn't looking forward to it, but once I started I immediately relaxed and enjoyed it.

Return to “General Discussion”