Hello from from Ny!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Schultz98
Recruit

Hello from from Ny!

Post by Schultz98 »

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a few weeks and wanted to introduce myself, I'm Matt and I'm from Long Island, NY. Military history and technology has interested me all of my life. For the past 15 or so years I have researched, collected late Soviet/Rusfed infantry equipment, and travel to take part in historical and modern milsim bbwar games as often as life will allow! For work I fix, modify and custom build the airsoft gun replicas for clients at a local proshop/field. I also do the same on the side as well for customers around the country, and also refinish rifle laminated wood furniture sets to replicate soviet farctory finishes using historically accurate processes and materials.

Recently a coworker brought in a new rc truck in and showed me how advanced rc had become, and within a day or so I bought my pre-upgraded Heng long T72 and Leopard 2a6,haha 😄. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can to expand functionality of my tanks and make em look pretty after-hours in my workshop.

My goals for now are

●Upgrade bb unit
●add servo recoil/lift for cannon
●gyro stabilization/leveling
●dual-feed fpv camera system: standard/thermal
●cannon smoke/flash to work with side airsoft unit
●internal LEDs to light airsoft tracer bbs
●upgrade speaker to something better
●upgrade IR battle receiver

Thanks for having me!
Attachments
Screenshot_20240227_041816.jpg
Screenshot_20240227_041816.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 310 times
20230909_140340.jpg
20230909_140340.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 310 times
IMG_20210606_212623_637.jpg
IMG_20210606_212623_637.jpg (179.02 KiB) Viewed 310 times
FB_IMG_1663731194885.jpg
FB_IMG_1663731194885.jpg (301.45 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Hello from from Ny!

Post by Ad Lav »

Welcome along :)

Good start to the hobby with two tanks!
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Welcome to the forum Matt from a fellow New Yorker. I'm up in Putnam county. Glad you decided to join up here and become active. Nice grabs those 2 tanks. A Leo almost jumped into my cart the other day.

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Welcome from Ontario, Canada! You'll like the T72--lots of surface detail goin on and that typical Russian look.

Mike.
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Post by michaelwhittmann »

Hello from South Jersey. You are definitely in the right place for tank knowledge.

Where are you in LI? I have friends in Rockville Center, Levittown, Aquaboge
and the Hamptons.

I hope you aren't an Islanders fan. :haha:
1st NJ Tank Squadron
HL Sherman
HL King Tiger
HL Panzer III
HL Tiger I
HL Panther
ALL WsIP but pretty much done
Meter rat
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Meter rat »

Hello and welcome from the West Coast of Scotland.
Schultz98
Recruit

Post by Schultz98 »

Really cool to also see people so close on a UK forum! I'm over in Babylon in Suffolk county.

So far I love my 2 tanks,I got them both in an attempt to tip all of my other coworkers over the fence and get their own 😅. There's probably about 7 of us So far we've had some epic "cock fight" type battles in my workshop with mine 😁. My plan seemed to work, and the rest of them are all filling carts and putting money aside this last week.

The t72 and leopard were both technically spec'd the same besides the rubber pad tracks on the Leo, but the leopard was cheetah quick in comparison for some reason. Yesterday I decided to put red 390 motors in the t72, and it had the exact effect I wanted, they are now the same speeds. I also bought some extra t72 and t90 accessory packs with all the kontakt-5 from toucan so I can modify the t72 which appears to he an AV or B into a T72BA which has thermals. I also have seen some photos of Ukranian military attaching kontakt 1 and 5 to leopards, so I may do that as well! Next up I will need to figure out paint 😵‍💫

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!!!
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Post by michaelwhittmann »

Seems like you come already with a lot of knowledge.

Good for you.
1st NJ Tank Squadron
HL Sherman
HL King Tiger
HL Panzer III
HL Tiger I
HL Panther
ALL WsIP but pretty much done
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

You can be a real asset to RCTW! I am impressed by what you have already done. I enjoyed the photos of the tanks and you bb fighters: that is an impressive amount of gear with some good eye protection. I think if one of you would come walking through the woods where I live, I'd dive for farthest away from the windows--quite a trick in an eleven-sided house!
I see that your "to do" list includes upgrading the airsoft. I suspect you know how to make 6 mm airsofts fly a great deal farther. And what a great idea to light them up to see them fly through the dark. I sure hope to see and learn more about you T72 and Leopard upgrades already underway.
Schultz98
Recruit

Post by Schultz98 »

So far I've installed the red 390 motors into the t72 to bring it up to modern horsepower standards 😁🪖, and yesterday installed the fpv camera into it too. I made a lil video of me driving it around at work I'll post below!

Today I attempted to install the fpv camera into the top sensor tower of the leopard turret, but unfortunately ripped the fragile ribbon wire on the camera 😅. I'll take more photos or videos as I attempt more performance and aesthetic modifications. I am thinking of trying to figure out making periscopes from tilted mirrors so I can theoretically tuck larger cameras in the turret pointing up. No idea if it will work well, but we may see!

https://youtube.com/shorts/WHP4T5FcD6c? ... ECuvtP0MJ0
Attachments
20240229_143138.jpg
20240229_143138.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 206 times

Return to “Introduce Yourself”