New Member - Hello from Lancashire :)

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
zooma
Lance Corporal

New Member - Hello from Lancashire :)

Post by zooma »

I have built several Tamiya 1/16 scale tanks since they first came out, but after being inactive with r/c model tanks for many years I am now retired and I am returning to the hobby and looking forward to meeting others in the local Rossendale area who share an interests in r/c model tanks. I also have the use of a nice church hall every Thursday evening that could be a good place to meet up and run some r/c tanks on a regular basis, although I doubt metal tracks would work very well (or be welcomed!) on the polished wooded floors.

I am currently working on a pair of Tamiya Leopard 2A6 tanks that have not been looked at for 10 years or so. These mainly only need cleaning (dusting!) and checking over, but I will also be changing the radio gear to a type that I currently prefer. One of these was built from a new kit by a friend who never had the chance to run it before he passed away, but he made a nice job of it so for sentimental reasons I will be keeping that one and adding some detailing and weathering etc.

The other one was built by an acquaintance who swopped it with me for a nice r/c Wedico truck. He had only just had it built for him from a new Tamiya kit by a "professional" who built it and painted it for him (!), but he quickly decided that he preferred his r/c model trucks and swapped it to me after only running it briefly, so both Leopards are in very good condition and both are fully working.

My main interest is in tanks from the Cold War period to current times and so I have just ordered a HAYA Chieftain and hope to buy a HAYA Centurian - to be funded by selling one of my Tamiya Leopard 2A6 tanks (or my Tamiya Sherman or Tamiya Tiger 1 models as I have lost interest in WW2 period models).

Since I last enjoyed working with r/c tanks I have noticed that the Heng Long tanks seem to have "come on" a long way from when they first came out. The new HAYA British tanks look superb and both manufacturers include models from the Cold War to current time periods that interest me the most, so I am looking forward to running these for the first time.

The Mr Tankalot videos have also inspired me and shown me just how good these HAYA and HengLong models can be after being refined and improved. They also look like they can take being "used" and are not just for "looking at" with spare parts available to keep the regularly maintained in full working order.
Never too old to learn........
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: New Member - Hello from Lancashire :)

Post by MrChef »

Welcome to the forum zooma! Very nice introduction. I look forward to see how your Leo's come along. Yes Mrtankalots has done some great work sharing the hobby through Youtube. And yes above all these buggers need to be run, they aren't static models.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

zooma wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:13 pm I have built several Tamiya 1/16 scale tanks since they first came out, but after being inactive with r/c model tanks for many years I am now retired and I am returning to the hobby and looking forward to meeting others in the local Rossendale area who share an interests in r/c model tanks. I also have the use of a nice church hall every Thursday evening that could be a good place to meet up and run some r/c tanks on a regular basis, although I doubt metal tracks would work very well (or be welcomed!) on the polished wooded floors.

I am currently working on a pair of Tamiya Leopard 2A6 tanks that have not been looked at for 10 years or so. These mainly only need cleaning (dusting!) and checking over, but I will also be changing the radio gear to a type that I currently prefer. One of these was built from a new kit by a friend who never had the chance to run it before he passed away, but he made a nice job of it so for sentimental reasons I will be keeping that one and adding some detailing and weathering etc.

The other one was built by an acquaintance who swopped it with me for a nice r/c Wedico truck. He had only just had it built for him from a new Tamiya kit by a "professional" who built it and painted it for him (!), but he quickly decided that he preferred his r/c model trucks and swapped it to me after only running it briefly, so both Leopards are in very good condition and both are fully working.

My main interest is in tanks from the Cold War period to current times and so I have just ordered a HAYA Chieftain and hope to buy a HAYA Centurian - to be funded by selling one of my Tamiya Leopard 2A6 tanks (or my Tamiya Sherman or Tamiya Tiger 1 models as I have lost interest in WW2 period models).

Since I last enjoyed working with r/c tanks I have noticed that the Heng Long tanks seem to have "come on" a long way from when they first came out. The new HAYA British tanks look superb and both manufacturers include models from the Cold War to current time periods that interest me the most, so I am looking forward to running these for the first time.

The Mr Tankalot videos have also inspired me and shown me just how good these HAYA and HengLong models can be after being refined and improved. They also look like they can take being "used" and are not just for "looking at" with spare parts available to keep the regularly maintained in full working order.
Hey Zooma!

Good to see some one fairly local on the forum. I'm in Salford so not a million miles away. There is a club meets at the scout hut in Hyde the first Sunday of the month that might be of interest to you! Great bunch and worth a visit if the trips not too far for you. Do you have any pictures of your models?
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

MrChef wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:37 pm Welcome to the forum zooma! Very nice introduction. I look forward to see how your Leo's come along. Yes Mrtankalots has done some great work sharing the hobby through Youtube. And yes above all these buggers need to be run, they aren't static models.

Thanks - I will post some pictures of my tanks when I can work out how to load them from my Mac. I see a header for "video" - will this work for non-moving pictures too?
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

tomhugill wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:03 pm
zooma wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:13 pm I have built several Tamiya 1/16 scale tanks since they first came out, but after being inactive with r/c model tanks for many years I am now retired and I am returning to the hobby and looking forward to meeting others in the local Rossendale area who share an interests in r/c model tanks. I also have the use of a nice church hall every Thursday evening that could be a good place to meet up and run some r/c tanks on a regular basis, although I doubt metal tracks would work very well (or be welcomed!) on the polished wooded floors.

Hey Zooma!

Good to see some one fairly local on the forum. I'm in Salford so not a million miles away. There is a club meets at the scout hut in Hyde the first Sunday of the month that might be of interest to you! Great bunch and worth a visit if the trips not too far for you. Do you have any pictures of your models?
Hi Tom,

Thanks for letting me know about your local tank club in Salford - and as you say - it is not very far away from where I am here in Rawtenstall BB4 6QS.

Our local club hall has been used by r/c truckers for some time, but their support is dwindling, so it would be good to take advantage of this excellent facility for anyone that would like somewhere to run their 1/16 scale tanks indoors "mid-week" (Thursday evening between 7 pm and 10pm).

Maybe we could even get some of the truckers to build some tank transporters to make things even more interesting?

We are not likely to get over-crowded (!) but we do have good facilities that also has wheelchair access, a fully fitted commercial kitchen that we can use (as long as we leave it as we find it) an adjoining room with tables and chairs to give a nice place to chat and work on (or repair) model tanks when not actually running them in the main hall, toilets (separate mens, women's and disabled) and an additional adjoined room if we should run out of space....as well as a cellar with a 10 meter shooting range that houses our target airgun club.

Anyone interested in bringing their 1/16 scale r/c tank along on a Thursday evening would be welcome to contact me, but I will try to drum up some local interest in any case as there are not too many places like this that are available for an evenings use during the week. I do know that we have some very good 1/35 scale tank and armour modellers that may be interested too?

Outdoor running when the weather gets better is probably something that most 1/16 r/c tankers already do, but even when the good weather returns, an indoor facility that can be used as a club house on a Thursday evening may have some appeal?

As soon as I can work out how to upload pictures onto this forum from my iMac I would be pleased to share some pictures of my tanks from time to time if they would be of any interest?

Bob. (zooma).
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum zooma :wave:

Here's a link to a discussion thread about the club Tom has mentioned, there are quite a few pictures on page two, with a few more on page five :thumbup:

NW Tank and Military Vehicle group meeting
viewtopic.php?t=26060
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

zooma wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:13 pm.

Hello and welcome from the West Coast of Scotland. Thank goodness somebody is trying to drag this forum into the 20th century with something modern, or a least post war.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Meter rat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:14 pm Thank goodness somebody is trying to drag this forum into the 20th century with something modern
Then you'll drag it back into the dark ages banging on about haggis. . . .
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

4,000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire. Although the holes were rather small, they had to count them all. Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
Sorry, I’m a big Beatles fan. Welcome aboard from Illinois USA.
RKRC
Private

Post by RKRC »

Welcome from Danmark

Return to “Introduce Yourself”