Turmfugenschutz - Turret joint protector

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Dogberry
Recruit

Turmfugenschutz - Turret joint protector

Post by Dogberry »

I need a little help.

I am currently in the process of researching the Turret ring protector for my Tamiya Tiger 1.

I know a real Tiger 1 had a turret radius of 1160mm mm then a 50mm gap and then the Turmfugenschutz was 80mm wide and the bolt centre has a radius of 1250mm.

Without going into a long boring explanation I do not have access to any of my Tamiya Tiger 1’s at the moment.

I need to know the diameter of the Turret on a Tamiya Tiger 1

Would somebody be kind enough just to measure the turret radius/diameter it should be in the region of 72.5mm radius 145mm diameter.

Thank you in advance
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Turmfugenschutz - Turret joint protector

Post by MrChef »

I'm sorry I can't help with the measurements but am curious what your idea is?

Are you looking to make the ring?

Something like this?=

This is from John at East Coast Armory. Who is great to deal with BTW.

https://www.eastcoastarmory.com/sherman_16.htm

I'll need one down the road so I'm interested too.

I remember seeing a member here making it once too but I forgot where I saw it.

Good luck in your adventure.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I think that was Herman, Certainly he was interested in the anti shot trap fitting.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Ecam
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ecam »

The base of my Tammy Tiger I turret diameter measures 5.720" or 145.28 mm. I made one of those for my fender-less Tiger thread, but mine was built off a drawing and not measurements.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Dogberry
Recruit

Post by Dogberry »

Thank you for that Ecam. That means Tamiya is very close to scale. Another problem solved...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

jarndice wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:45 pm I think that was Herman, Certainly he was interested in the anti shot trap fitting.
I was very keen to get the inside scoop on this, not made one yet.
That Tiger project is a way off. Mr Glover sent me a King Tiger version that I can modify to suit.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Dogberry
Recruit

Post by Dogberry »

Herman,

The inside scope…..

I am at the planning/research/acquisition stage in converting a Tamiya Tiger 1 to a Late Tiger 1.
Therefore I need the Turmfugenshultz, armored Turret ring, splash ring, spall ring call it what you will.

So I have to do a lot of planning and searching the internet for parts. This is made more difficult because of the amount of models available and the number of aftermarket bits that may or may not fit your chosen start point.

Some Tiger 1 manufacturers and aftermarket parts manufacturers are not that careful when it comes getting things to scale so I have to check everything. Therefore my odd request.

I also plan to carry out a few more unusual modifications. I have always thought that the speaker box on a Tamiya Tiger 1 and KT is a waste of space. I intend to custom build a speaker box that is approximately 20mm lower than the present one. Then construct the top 20mm of the engine, cooling fans, even put the wooded fuel tank protectors in. Then the engine deck and the cooling armored covers will be opened up.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Oooh, that all sounds good Dogberry :thumbup:

I think I'm speaking for most members when I say, please do keep us posted with your very interesting modifications :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

$6.50 from ECA.

Save yourself some time and faffing around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
I've got my own Tamiya Tiger 1 to build one day so this is good news! If someone came up to me muttering the word, " turmfugenschutz", my likely response would be: OMG! What did you say you did to yourself!? WHERE IS IT HURTING!? ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “General Questions”