A very obscure bit of history: Kriegsmarine Tankers, 1945

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

A very obscure bit of history: Kriegsmarine Tankers, 1945

Post by Mithras »

So, here’s the thing.

I’m an historical archaeologist, which means that I get a lot of questions from my friends. I can answer some, but by no means all, and I am neither perfect nor as well informed as I’d like on every subject (though I am, of course, devastatingly handsome.) I have been asked a question, and I cannot find the answer.

In 1944/45, the Kriegsmarine formed an armored unit. Referenced, generally, as a brigade, though that means very little in 1945 of course. I’ve a friend who is quite interested in the subject (as am I, admittedly, being a glutton for punishment.)

What I’ve been asked about specifically are markings. And I can find no information whatever. I know that this formation did exist; I know that they wore some Kriegsmarine kit (like the ‘See Jaegers’ in Norway of 1940.) However, that’s it. Has anybody got information regarding markings? Insignia? If any? I’d be most grateful if you did, and I could share something of value with my friend,

If not, no worries. The subject is incredibly obscure, and may not at all be documented beyond “formed in 1945; destroyed in 1945. Most likely wore pants.”

-M.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: A very obscure bit of history: Kriegsmarine Tankers, 1945

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

This may be helpful in a small way, maybe help redirect searches.

Did the Kriegsmarine use Tanks? - Axis History Forum
https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=40490
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Now this is interesting! Mithras, please keep us informed if/as you learn more. And, of course, any written sources would be especially valuable.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:58 pm This may be helpful in a small way, maybe help redirect searches.

Did the Kriegsmarine use Tanks? - Axis History Forum
https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=40490
Very good. Thank you. I think this was information I had at one point, but I'm very, very grateful!
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:00 pm Now this is interesting! Mithras, please keep us informed if/as you learn more. And, of course, any written sources would be especially valuable.
I absolutely will!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

By 1945, the Kriegsmarine was pretty short of ships to sail in, with the significant ones sunk by the Royal Navy, or confined to port (e.g Tirpitz) by the Royal Air Force, and the Royal Navy. It follows, then, that the beached 'tars' would have to find another occupation, much as they did in WW1. However, the formation of an armoured unit is a new one on me. Like you, I'd be keen to more about it. Happy New year!. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

They were also used in the invasion of Norway. The Norwegian Army fought back hard and, short of available manpower, the Germans used sailors as mountain troops, referred to as "See Jaegers" by their amused army compatriots. There were naval commandos, involved in actions elsewhere.
Meter rat
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Meter rat »

I love obscure history like this. Trying to think logically, I presume they may have a small number of tanks and trained crews for local defence of the harbours. I would imagine the tanks would be obsolete ones too small for front line duty. I second/third what others have said. Please keep us informed.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I believe the Sturmtiger seen in a short video clip bombarding Warsaw was crewed by Naval personnel. They were used to operate the anti submarine mortar.
Word was they were awful as vehicle operators but the weapon skills were great!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Meter rat wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:52 am I love obscure history like this. Trying to think logically, I presume they may have a small number of tanks and trained crews for local defence of the harbours. I would imagine the tanks would be obsolete ones too small for front line duty. I second/third what others have said. Please keep us informed.
Mostly tank destroyers, actually. Nothing terribly out of use. Anything available at that stage.

Return to “General Questions”