Are battles still a thing?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

Are battles still a thing?

Post by Mithras »

So, I’m not seeing much about battle events and I’m getting conflicting information about which system (IR/Airsoft) is used in UK events. Are there still battles going on or is the hobby mostly focused on display now? If I’m working on getting a pair of them up and running for battles (assuming they are still a thing, of course,) what should I be setting up for?

And, bonus question (that’s numberwang!) assuming IR, and assuming active events to use it with, do I need to convert to a specific standard? I saw some older posts about HL not necessarily being compatible with other IR systems, etc.

-A.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Are battles still a thing?

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

If a club host battles it will most likely be ir for insurance purposes, as for the compatibility in having battled an used several different systems I find that the receiver or apple as it’s called will receive the IR emitter beam reguardless of brand, where the compatibility come in to it is the hl apple won’t work or even fit with the newer ones into a Taigen or torro tank.

Answer in short as long as in a battle you are firing ir at a tank with the receiver installed it will register the hit. If you hit. But if you want to use hl receiver in torro/Taigen it won’t work on the old style won’t fit on the new style and visa versa
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Ahh, I see! Makes much more sense. Thanks!
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

No adult RC tanker will use BB ;) In fact this is often the first thing we remove when modifying the tank.

IR "standard" for battles is Tamiya system which has more advanced functions such as weight classes or "repair".
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Duly noted! I didn’t think BBs would be used, but here in the states Paintballs appear to be the standard!
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

There is an IR compatible mod offered by Torro/Taigen allowing it to battle with Both Tamiya and Heng Long.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/torro ... orop-01006

I do not know how well or if it works. Someone here can elaborate I'm sure.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore

Return to “General Questions”