Some very Newbish/Rookie/Possibly Naive Questions

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

Some very Newbish/Rookie/Possibly Naive Questions

Post by Mithras »

Hello, everyone.

Let me begin by thanking you for the kind comments and warm welcome in the Intro forum. Won't repeat my words from that thread here, but thank you. This may sound a bit strange, but when I was much younger, I made an attempt to join another RC Hobby and the response I got was so offputting that I pretty much gave up on it for years... You have definitely helped me feel a lot more at ease, and I'm most grateful.

In short: very likely I'll be moving to the UK (or, maybe, Ireland) next year, partly to finish my PhD, and would probably remain there, and I'm looking to perhaps get into the hobby.

So, that out of the way, I've got many newbie questions, which as I said above may well be a bit naive!:)

1. I've looked at several "pre made" and "ready to run" packages (as I'm not yet at the 'I can build this entirely myself' stage.) Can anyone comment on the quality of some versus others? The HengLong T-72 was recommended, but I've also seen some very nice Sturmtigers, a T-55 or two, and what appears to be a Leopard II in UN colors. I believe they've all been Taigen or Henglong. Are any of these worth a closer look?

2. I'm fairly experienced as a model builder and painter. Are there kits that, say, would provide the electronic or mechanical kits in "plug and play" format so that I could play to my strengths and leave the other stuff up to someone else, for now? If I were to repaint a vehicle, are there any specific things to be wary of? ("Don't put paint on these parts, ever; make sure to mask off all of this, dissassemble that" etc?)

3. While I understand they are rare, I've seen or read references here to Great War tanks, Italian Semoventes, and a few other less commonly represented things. Are these available? If so, where would I find them? Wife, who is also quite interested in all of this, has specifically requested I query you about FT-17s. Do they exist in this scale? We saw one in 1/10, and another in 1/6, but of course they were huge, and one of them appeared to be a 3D print only kit.

4. I've seen conversion kits. One, for example, turns a KV-1 into a Soviet self-propelled, tracked artillery piece (and yes, I'm blanking on the name, which is unfortunate as I recently built and painted one for a miniatures game). Are these friendly to newer hobbyists? What about conversion parts, if, for instance, I wanted to put Enigma armor on an Iraqi T-55, or something along those lines? (Cosmetic rather than structural.)

5. I'm assuming that the battles in the UK and Ireland are mostly IR based, rather than airsoft/bb/paintball?

6. I've seen artillery pieces, anti-tank guns, panzerturms, that sort of thing: are these also RC, or are they mostly for show?

7. And slightly off topic, I hope you'll forgive me (but I do see there's a board here for it). Are there any RC Warship clubs in the UK?

Thanks again for your assistance, and I hope I haven't asked too much of you!

-A.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Some very Newbish/Rookie/Possibly Naive Questions

Post by tankme »

T-55 Enigma or not would be a bad first project. That tank takes some knowledge to build and get it to run right.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Ad 1. Heng Long is OK. The Taigen is more expensive, has slightly more metal parts and usually better suspension. Avoid Hooben. Tamiya makes very good but expensive self-assembly kits.

Ad 2. When it comes to painting, just like in the case of static models, it is a good idea to divide them into parts. RTR models can be easily disassembled.

Ad 3. I have a Renault FT converted from a static Takom model. However, I do not recommend such a modification to a beginner. Mark IV from Hooben is also an advanced set.

Ad 4. These sets are for the most advanced modellers because you usually have to make also internal mechanisms from scratch.
There are various cosmetic addons on the market, often resin or 3D printed.

Ad 5. Nobody here would want their expensive model shot with a BB ;) I don't know about the UK, but in continental Europe hardly anyone fights by IR. This is rather specific to the USA and Asia.

Ad 6. They are mostly for show but even on this forum are examples of RC e.g. 88mm Flak gun.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Mithras wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:40 am Hello, everyone.

Let me begin by thanking you for the kind comments and warm welcome in the Intro forum. Won't repeat my words from that thread here, but thank you. This may sound a bit strange, but when I was much younger, I made an attempt to join another RC Hobby and the response I got was so offputting that I pretty much gave up on it for years... You have definitely helped me feel a lot more at ease, and I'm most grateful.

Thats where we like to be different, all of us were beginners once so respect those that are starting out on the same journey we have. Glad you feel welcome, because you are.

In short: very likely I'll be moving to the UK (or, maybe, Ireland) next year, partly to finish my PhD, and would probably remain there, and I'm looking to perhaps get into the hobby.

So, that out of the way, I've got many newbie questions, which as I said above may well be a bit naive!:)

1. I've looked at several "pre made" and "ready to run" packages (as I'm not yet at the 'I can build this entirely myself' stage.) Can anyone comment on the quality of some versus others? The HengLong T-72 was recommended, but I've also seen some very nice Sturmtigers, a T-55 or two, and what appears to be a Leopard II in UN colors. I believe they've all been Taigen or Henglong. Are any of these worth a closer look?

The new H/Ls are well worth the look, in fact all of them are. The T72 is simple, but has issues too, the any brand T34 is a good runner and very robust, the Tiger 1 is a great starter tank, has loads of parts and options available and is very well documented & recorded for reference.

2. I'm fairly experienced as a model builder and painter. Are there kits that, say, would provide the electronic or mechanical kits in "plug and play" format so that I could play to my strengths and leave the other stuff up to someone else, for now? If I were to repaint a vehicle, are there any specific things to be wary of? ("Don't put paint on these parts, ever; make sure to mask off all of this, dissassemble that" etc?)

There would be that on any model, but you seem to be wise enough to work out what to paint over & what to mask or remove. Its largely model version dependent.

3. While I understand they are rare, I've seen or read references here to Great War tanks, Italian Semoventes, and a few other less commonly represented things. Are these available? If so, where would I find them? Wife, who is also quite interested in all of this, has specifically requested I query you about FT-17s. Do they exist in this scale? We saw one in 1/10, and another in 1/6, but of course they were huge, and one of them appeared to be a 3D print only kit.

Search the FT-17 here and you will find some exquisite examples in 16th scale.

4. I've seen conversion kits. One, for example, turns a KV-1 into a Soviet self-propelled, tracked artillery piece (and yes, I'm blanking on the name, which is unfortunate as I recently built and painted one for a miniatures game). Are these friendly to newer hobbyists? What about conversion parts, if, for instance, I wanted to put Enigma armor on an Iraqi T-55, or something along those lines? (Cosmetic rather than structural.)

The T55 being an aging Hooben kit is a build project by itself, but the enigma conversion is certainly one to look at if done right. I'd start on something other than a Hooben T55 if you can.

5. I'm assuming that the battles in the UK and Ireland are mostly IR based, rather than airsoft/bb/paintball?

6. I've seen artillery pieces, anti-tank guns, panzerturms, that sort of thing: are these also RC, or are they mostly for show?

7. And slightly off topic, I hope you'll forgive me (but I do see there's a board here for it). Are there any RC Warship clubs in the UK?

Thanks again for your assistance, and I hope I haven't asked too much of you!

-A.
I put answers in italics to keep them in line with your questions that I can give some advice on !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Kaczor and Bix have, as usual, provided excellent answers. I have long favored Taigen/Torro ready-to-run tanks as worth the extra cost. In the past few years, I have turned to HengLong because of more flexible control and smoother low speeds, albeit at the cost of accurate sound. If you go for HengLong, try to get the steel upgrade if you can afford it, as you will get more durability. (The upgrade will include the transmission, drive sprockets, idlers, road wheels, and tracks.) I recommend that if you are down to one or a few tanks to choose among, tell us the specifics (a URL to the seller’s specific page helps a lot).
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

There are some tank clubs and I believe a model boat club in the midlands UK, Ireland however I haven’t a clue, as for your other questions with out specifics the have been answered quite well, though Sherman questions I can answer
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Thank you kindly! I apologize but seem somehow to have reported a post. My apologies. The forum isn’t as mobile friendly to my clumsy fingers!
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Mithras wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:26 am Thank you kindly! I apologize but seem somehow to have reported a post. My apologies. The forum isn’t as mobile friendly to my clumsy fingers!
It was three posts that you reported, the last one, you gave the reason that the post contained illegal or pirated software :haha: I took a screenshot to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Looks like I may have to have words with a pirate lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Well, the reports have been removed, and as for using a mobile, I too have chunky fingers ;)
Sometimes I zoom in a little to make sure of accurate menu selection :thumbup:
I have sent you a PM.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

I am quite grateful for your suggestions.

Any thoughts on this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/375004365255?_ ... p_homepage

Return to “General Questions”