Hello. Newbie here.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Mithras
Corporal

Hello. Newbie here.

Post by Mithras »

Hi, everyone.

I’m a long time miniatures gamer and an historical archaeologist with a focus (mostly) on military history. I’m currently located in the states, and have tried to get into RC tank and Warship combat several times but have had no luck finding local groups.

My wife and I intend to move to the UK, likely permanently, in the next year, and I’m hoping this will be a chance for me to get to know a few friends and participate in the hobby. I’m certainly willing to learn any skills I don’t possess. Glasgow and York look most likely at the moment, but wiling to travel.

In terms of tanks, I’m particularly interested in Great War armor and several unusual bits and bobs (Interwar tanks, Japanese, Hungarian, and Italian tanks, etc.) Ideally, it’d be a lot of fun to get one of those going (an Austro-Hungarian Romfell would be lovely, but I suspect that’s something I would have to build, myself, at some point.)

Does anyone offer Great War, Japanese, Italian, or Hungarian tanks? Maybe conversion kits for T-55 Enigmas? Maybe somebody somewhere has a Ukrainian T-64?

Honestly, I’ve seen plenty of interesting looking ready-built kits (there’s an interesting UN Leopard on EBay, and I’ve seen several nice looking Sturmtigers), but I am a complete novice and I’m sure there are big lemons out there.

Would be grateful for any pointers. I hope to meet some of you in the near future.

- Alex
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Hello. Newbie here.

Post by tankme »

Welcome.

If you have a 3D printer there is a T64BV: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/t-64-bv

Most of the tanks you mentioned are not readily available and would be custom builds.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Mithras :wave:

Yes, I'm afraid you would have to travel from Glasgow or York to meet people at clubs, the main two that appear to be thriving are in the Midlands/upper Midlands.
Grantham Light Armoured Division in Grantham, Lincolnshire.
Or
The North West Tank and Military Vehicle Group. In Hyde Manchester.

At least you'll now have an idea of locations before you cross the big pond.

Enjoy the forum.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Hullo, and welcome to the forum. I moved from the English Midlands, to the West Coast of Scotland, about an hour outside of Glasgow. Best thing we ever did York is very nice also, but commands a higher price for housing due to its niceness. There has been talk about setting a club up in Scotland but some one would have to travel wherever it was but somewhere like Glasgow or Stirling is fairly central, or at least relatively accessible.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Welcome Mithras. Since you're set on moving tis almost a moot point to know where you are in the states. But I'm a curious guy.

Chef
Last edited by MrChef on Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Welcome from Ontario, Canada!
Pickings are pretty slim for the early armour, although Hooben produces a RC 1/16 British MKIV. It gets even slimmer for interwar stuff. A shame, but at least 5 different companies have Tiger 1's on offer! :yawn:
Heng Long has come a long way in quality and something like a T-72 would be a good tank to get into the hobby with at a reasonable price. If the bug bites, then you're a lost soul. I've been to some club battles and the jack rabbit running isn't my thing. I like the detailing and scale running, but that's what makes the hobby so great. Lots of niches to throw your entire wallet at with reckless abandon!

Mike
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Mithras: so you two "intend to move to the UK...Glasgow and York look most likely." Glasgow! Glasgow! Become a Glaswegian!
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:03 am Mithras: so you two "intend to move to the UK...Glasgow and York look most likely." Glasgow! Glasgow! Become a Glaswegian!
He’ll become a wee Weegie fee America.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Hah! I’d be honored to be a Weegie. Leicester, other areas looking possible as well. Just depends upon where we settle and where I feel comfortable doing my work.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Leicester. The city of many curry houses. And not to far from Birmingham, which has even more. :thumbup:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”