Beier SFR-1-D Double Sound Speed Controller

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Tanker1966
Recruit

Beier SFR-1-D Double Sound Speed Controller

Post by Tanker1966 »

Well I ordered me a Beier SFR-1-D Double Sound Speed Controller for my latest Mato Tiger 1 build. This will be my first Beier product. I hope I like it!
https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellb ... sprache=gb
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Beier SFR-1-D Double Sound Speed Controller

Post by Jimster »

I’m pretty sure you will love it. It’s very fun to customize and select the sounds, lighting etc.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Tanker1966: I just took a look at the Beier SFR-1-HL, a version perhaps less flexible than the one you chose, but suited specifically to HengLong or Taigen/Torro tanks. Now I am getting interested... So I will watch what you come up with on the Beier you bought.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

My only gripe about the Beier boards is the lack of ability to allow the vehicle to slowly coast to a stop on its own as if pushing in the clutch on a car and coasting to a stop. This is the only reason I lament over the discontinued Elmod Fusion Pro. Maybe I’m just picky. I wish Beier would add this parameter to their boards.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I think you are referring to the "momentum" setting. Sounds like there is none on the Beier board. Funny thing is, seems like everyone is complaining the momentum can't be completely shut off on the IBU2 blue board.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’m weird like that. I prefer very realistic driving physics. While I’m coasting I can ease back on the throttle stick to feather the brakes or bump the throttle up to give it a bit more acceleration. I like the simulated feel of actually driving very heavy machine. Most people prefer to instantly come to a dead stop as soon as the throttle stick is released. I find that very unrealistic, toy-like and unsatisfying. I definitely respect everyone’s preferences.
tankme

Post by tankme »

I hear what you are saying, but I will say I have a 5 speed car. When I'm on the gas I accelerate and when I'm on the brakes it stops pretty quick. I have driven a real Sherman. Not a single board I have ever used simulates how a Sherman actually drives - momentum or not. Believe it or not, a Sherman tank stops pretty fast when you jam on the brakes especially at slow speed. If it didn't they would be banging into walls going through cities. That being said, a Sherman really isn't very fast. In order to be really "lifelike" the momentum would need to be very little at slow speeds and more at high speeds. They would also need to actually brake one track while applying power to the other. Most of the boards don't do the braking part so the non-driven track is just basically in neutral.

Personally I don't like momentum on as the slow speed control sucks. It's those slow speed maneuvers that will jam a barrel into the ground or snap a turret around as the barrel hits a building. Now it doesn't stop me from doing these things, but it does minimize them. Of course the downside to barrel stabbing or barrel smacking is...repairs. I'd really rather avoid those. :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

But by setting the Elmod’s braking parameter at a high number it stops instantly when when pulling all the way back on the stick. Just like disc brakes. That way you have the ability to either gently tap the brake pedal or put your foot through the floorboard for an immediate stop. Just like a real vehicle. Of course I’ve never driven a real tank.
My Elmod Fusion Pro has the best slow speed control of any board I’ve ever had so far. I wish I could combine my two Beier boards sound and lighting advantages with the Elmod’s driving characteristics! That would awesome.
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Beier creator is open to suggestions and from time to time make updates of software with new features. I advise you to leave suggestions on the Beier forum. I have Beier SFR-1-HL and the only issue I have is setup of servo elevation. For now it is not possible to have smooth control via left stick like on elmod or Clark of even Heng Long. But as plug & play swap for Taigen board is great. Quality and volume of the sound is amazing. I am glad that more and more people have this board, it will be possible to exchange experiences more easly.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Jimster wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:58 pm My only gripe about the Beier boards is the lack of ability to allow the vehicle to slowly coast to a stop on its own as if pushing in the clutch on a car and coasting to a stop. This is the only reason I lament over the discontinued Elmod Fusion Pro. Maybe I’m just picky. I wish Beier would add this parameter to their boards.
Hello,
the Beier SFR-1D / HL offers two possibilities to adjust the movement profile:
SFR-1-D+HL.jpg
SFR-1-D+HL.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
You have to experiment with inertia and load regulation, then you get realistic driving behaviour just like with the Elmod.
Uncheck the box at "Emergency stop possible" and the tank keep on rolling rolling rolling..... :haha:
The combination of electric motor and gearbox in relation to the weight of the tank must also make this possible. ;)

Return to “Other electronics”