Any British RC Sub builders

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
bowlman
Corporal

Any British RC Sub builders

Post by bowlman »

Im new to submarine building but am looking for other models other then USS Subs im working on a Skipjack and have a Seawolf plus a Gato to build and make into a RC sub at this time .

Jimmy
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Any British RC Sub builders

Post by Saxondog »

Jimmy,my friend grandfather was a submariner in WW-II.When he died I went to INDIANA to help my friends mother move all the stuff to a storage,bottom line I have a US-NAVY ISSUE submarine catalog type book,and some other really great sub books,the NAVY book has his notes on different subs he served on and sub he was an power plant engineer in the later half of the war,he did shakedown on many boats and conversions after the war.I can give you info and possibly some reference picture if my scanner does a good job,so let me know if I can help,my first love has been model ships for ever,I started tankin only 9-months ago,but I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP,if you know what sub you need info on this book has every sub up to the first nuke.Alot of WW-II sub info,SAX
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi I have been a RC marine modellor for about 20 odd years before going into tanks and in the past have built two working RC subs 1) a type VII "Turn 4" german U boat ( One of only 6 anti aircraft subs that the germans built U 441 )and also a British T class both models was based on a set of moldings and plans from a company called Darnell's Models ( I think the company was sold and now on the net a company called Models by design in the UK sell the same mouldings) The models are between 64" long and 68" long at that time. You only get a set of plans and the basic mouldings and then it is up to you research the individual sub that you wish to build and also to instal the type of gear and dive system that you prefere.
I will warn that although the mouldings was quite good there is a lot of imput required by yourself and is not for the faint hearted or a beginner modellor. It took me 2 years to build me my first one and to get it right to my satisfaction.
Hope this is any help for you.
opp's you said get off the road
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

I've built a static sub HMS Resolution in 1/192 scale which could possibly be modified to radio control as there is room for small r/c gear, speed controller etc as it's about 2.5 foot long. I am familiar with r/c subs and it is possible to build and design them successfully. You have either dynamic diving sub which rely on the forward motion of the craft to dive, or a proper sub which has tanks in them and will dive like the original with ballast tanks etc. A company called sheerline produce kits of submarines but they are expensive. I've got three books on the subject. One is called "Submarines Models and their originals" Carsten Heintze. "Simply Submarines" by Chris Jackson, which is excellent. "Model Submarine Technology" Norbert Bruggen.

The one thing that one of the books says is to think of water pressure and the weight of it. If you build a hull and can stand on it without it breaking, then it will withstand the water pressure bit it is fun so give it a go. Happy to help by the way.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I have been considering building either the Japanese 1=400 or the French Surcouf class, this was a unique sub with twin 8"guns and a airplane hanger. It now rest in the Gulf of Mexico.This was a very interesting attempt to give a submarine surface warfare capabilities.

But they overlooked the fact that having 8" guns does not give you armor to withstand surface gun fire. Still an interesting sub.

Sax
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

That does sound like an interesting project and sub. 8inch guns and an aircraft hangar, wow. As a working sub 1/400 seems like quite a small boat to me with a narrow hull. I think it needs careful weight distribution although it might work well as a dynamic diving sub. I'll google it as I am interested to see what the sub looks like.
rcbritishsubs
Recruit

Post by rcbritishsubs »

bowlman wrote:Im new to submarine building but am looking for other models other then USS Subs im working on a Skipjack and have a Seawolf plus a Gato to build and make into a RC sub at this time .

Jimmy
bowlman wrote:Im new to submarine building but am looking for other models other then USS Subs im working on a Skipjack and have a Seawolf plus a Gato to build and make into a RC sub at this time .

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy

My name is Jason. I have built kits before but now am in process of building The New British Attack Class Submarine Astute. https://www.facebook.com/AstuteModels
rcbritishsubs
Recruit

Post by rcbritishsubs »

By the way Jimmy forgot to mention this time I have scratch built and plan to sell in kit form

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”