how to make your own glue for HL plastic

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

how to make your own glue for HL plastic

Post by tiger205 »

hi all
       how many of you find it hard to glue heng long plastic permanantly?, well i had that problem until me and a friend put our heads together, we were looking for a good strong, permanant glue that we could use on HL plastic, nothing we could find would really do the job well. what me and nigel come up with is really simple and cheap to make.
first thing you do is find some scrap bits of HL plastic, cut it up in to small pieces, put it in a small glass bottle, preferably a dark coloured bottle, then get some acetone, from a local chemists shop, (nail varnish remover is no good) then put some in with the plastic, enough to cover it, wait for the plastic to dissolve in the acetone, the time it takes can vary, once it has dissolved you can add more acetone, depending on the consistancy you require, a runny'ish consistancy makes a good permanant glue, a thick'ish one makes a good filler, the best way i found to use the glue is, get the parts you want to glue, wet the surfaces to be glued with neat acetone, this helps soften the plastic, then apply the "glue", fix together the parts, hold in place for alittle while, then let dry fully and to harden, this about 24hrs, abit of a pain i know, but well well worth the wait, i will be posting a modification i made to my Tigers suspension soon, which used this glue, it will show you just how good it is, if you have any questions let me know.

Tony 8)
Last edited by tiger205 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
Norse
Lance Corporal

Re: how to make your own glue for HL plastic

Post by Norse »

tiger205 wrote: hi all
      how many of you find it hard to glue heng long plastic permanantly?, well i had that problem until me and a friend put our heads together, we were looking for a good strong, permanant glue that we could use on HL plastic, nothing we could find would really do the job well. what me and nigel come up with is really simple and cheap to make.
first thing you do is find some scrap bits of HL plastic, cut it up in to small pieces, put it in a small glass bottle, preferably a dark coloured bottle, then get some acetone, from a local chemists shop, (nail varnish remover is no good) then put some in with the plastic, enough to cover it, wait for the plastic to dissolve in the acetone, the time it takes can vary, once it has dissolved you can add more acetone, depending on the consistancy you require, a runny'ish consistancy makes a good permanant glue, a thick'ish one makes a good filler, the best way i found to use the glue is, get the parts you want to glue, wet the surfaces to be glued with neat acetone, this helps soften the plastic, then apply the "glue", fix together the parts, hold in place for alittle while, then let dry fully and to harden, this about 24hrs, abit of a pain i know, but well well worth the wait, i will be posting a modification i made to my Tigers suspension soon, which used this glue, it will show you just how good it is, if you have any questions let me know.

Tony 8)
Might have to play with this too. are all the HL tanks made out of the same plastic though?
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: how to make your own glue for HL plastic

Post by tiger205 »

hi norse
            to my knowledge they are, but even if they are'nt, the glue works on polystyrene as well

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".

Return to “Tips and Tricks”