Chi-nu RC tank

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
GrubbyClubby
Recruit

Chi-nu RC tank

Post by GrubbyClubby »

I thought I would show this here.
I'm new to professional CAD (have used tinkerCAD to make a moveable MvM tank from tf2 before however) and have been using fusion 360 for roughly 2-3 months and started to 3d model an RC chi-nu tank.
What do you guys think?

Just the turret has taken me roughly 1.5 months, I'm slowly working on the hull and the function, I'm designing my own gearbox for this.

If anything looks off please tell me!
Attachments
muzzle_break.PNG
Capture.PNG
front.png
front.png (80.69 KiB) Viewed 702 times
detail_3.PNG
back hatches open.png
Turret_Hatches_open.PNG
turret_2.PNG
PershingLover
Corporal

Re: Chi-nu RC tank

Post by PershingLover »

The render looks superb! Try as I might, CAD still alludes me, but you've definitely got it! Can't wait to the see the rest.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

I've not used Fusion 360 (I'm a Unigraphics/Pro-E guy), but if this is your first attempt at such a complex model.
I'll give you a couple words of advice.
1. Plan it out. I mean decide what are necessary details to model. Example, your turret looks spectacular in CAD. However, you have modeled in the rifling (which looks straight instead of curved, but could just be the angle). Are you planning on having the physical construction have rifling? Do you need to model the chains on the cannon cradle? Do you bother modeling in bolt heads or add them later?

2. Plan it out again. What do you need internally? Braces? Supports for elevation/recoil? Strength/Mass/Durability?

3. Plan it out (Hopefully for the last time)! Now you have finished the model of the turret/hull/whatever...? Now you need to determine the assembly break down depending on the methods you plan on constructing the actual model from. Are you using FDM 3D Printing? Resin Printer/Molds? Plasticard? Will you need to split models/sections to accommodate manufacture/assembly/servicing (aka, turret floor/outer wall/roof? Removable/permanent?)

4. Build it, knowing that what you have planned and what is built will likely never be perfect the first time around and will need some iterations. (aka Looked good and sounded good in my head, but not so good in reality...)

5. Do not be afraid of experimenting and failure! Just get back up, determine the root cause of the issue and attack the problem. This may cause a complete redesign in steps 2-3. I went though multiple iterations and prototypes before deciding on the final Compact Recoil Unit that is sold by Forgebear and DGS.

6. Patience, Patience, Patience!

I look at BarryC for an excellent example regarding planning, execution, revision, and patience!
A great start for an ambitious project! I look forwards to seeing it being built!
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Looks good so far, but if you are planning on making this a 3D printable model on a home FDM machine(?) you might want to think about how you are going to break it down so that you get the best quality - printing detail on vertical surfaces (to the printer) doesn't come out as well as one horizontal ones. You'll also find that detail can only get so small before the printer code simply ignores it.

@Jarlath If you can use UG and Pro/E, you can use F360 :thumbup: 360 is closer to UG in terms of it being a solid based boolean system, rather than Pro/E's fudged surface merging mechanic, but they are all fundamentally similar in how they operate.
GrubbyClubby
Recruit

Post by GrubbyClubby »

PershingLover wrote:The render looks superb! Try as I might, CAD still alludes me, but you've definitely got it! Can't wait to the see the rest.
Thank you! I'll definitely update once I've done more
GrubbyClubby
Recruit

Post by GrubbyClubby »

Jarlath wrote:I've not used Fusion 360 (I'm a Unigraphics/Pro-E guy), but if this is your first attempt at such a complex model.
I'll give you a couple words of advice.
1. Plan it out. I mean decide what are necessary details to model. Example, your turret looks spectacular in CAD. However, you have modeled in the rifling (which looks straight instead of curved, but could just be the angle). Are you planning on having the physical construction have rifling? Do you need to model the chains on the cannon cradle? Do you bother modeling in bolt heads or add them later?

2. Plan it out again. What do you need internally? Braces? Supports for elevation/recoil? Strength/Mass/Durability?

3. Plan it out (Hopefully for the last time)! Now you have finished the model of the turret/hull/whatever...? Now you need to determine the assembly break down depending on the methods you plan on constructing the actual model from. Are you using FDM 3D Printing? Resin Printer/Molds? Plasticard? Will you need to split models/sections to accommodate manufacture/assembly/servicing (aka, turret floor/outer wall/roof? Removable/permanent?)

4. Build it, knowing that what you have planned and what is built will likely never be perfect the first time around and will need some iterations. (aka Looked good and sounded good in my head, but not so good in reality...)

5. Do not be afraid of experimenting and failure! Just get back up, determine the root cause of the issue and attack the problem. This may cause a complete redesign in steps 2-3. I went though multiple iterations and prototypes before deciding on the final Compact Recoil Unit that is sold by Forgebear and DGS.

6. Patience, Patience, Patience!

I look at BarryC for an excellent example regarding planning, execution, revision, and patience!
A great start for an ambitious project! I look forwards to seeing it being built!
Thank you, I thought the gun had straight rifling but now I'm unsure. I'll change it if it is curved. I'm actually 3d modelling all the details as I wish to release the file as a 3d model file, but yes during printing, the chain wouldn't print. I actually forgot to separate parts but that isn't too hard to do now so thank you! I've taken it into account for my hull. I think I have considered issues and planned out my systems wheel enough. I will be prototyping to them soon.
GrubbyClubby
Recruit

Post by GrubbyClubby »

Tiger6 wrote:Looks good so far, but if you are planning on making this a 3D printable model on a home FDM machine(?) you might want to think about how you are going to break it down so that you get the best quality - printing detail on vertical surfaces (to the printer) doesn't come out as well as one horizontal ones. You'll also find that detail can only get so small before the printer code simply ignores it.

@Jarlath If you can use UG and Pro/E, you can use F360 :thumbup: 360 is closer to UG in terms of it being a solid based boolean system, rather than Pro/E's fudged surface merging mechanic, but they are all fundamentally similar in how they operate.
Thank you! I've taken into account the breaking down part, forgot it in my turret whoops.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

The whole idea of the rifling is that imparts spin on the projectile, so there would be some twist. That said, you won't be able to print detail on a home printer that small, so I honestly wouldn't bother :thumbup:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Looks good
I would just say as above

I recently moved over to Fusion360 almost now for 90% of my work as i was more an Inventor user.

I have used multiple other platforms like Catia, Pro E & IDeas, but after a few days you get settled in. Its just infuriating looking for that button you know it can do it, but where it is in the new platform, but as they say practice makes perfect.

Main thing is enjoy :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
GrubbyClubby
Recruit

Post by GrubbyClubby »

Got some more done, started the hull and the road wheels, next is the suspension.
At the moment I'm revolving around detail just for a 3D model and trying out my fusion skills. Trying to see details on a real version is a pain and have been using models and war thunder as a reference.
Eventually I will make parts move etc (have made a gear box but now doesn't fit as I've changed the hull a lot) and have considered moving parts for each piece before designing them, its taking a while but I'm slowly getting there!
Attachments
road wheel.JPG
tank.JPG
drive wheel.JPG
drive wheel.JPG (78.52 KiB) Viewed 550 times

Return to “3D Printing”