Painting Brass photo etch

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Painting Brass photo etch

Post by silversurfer1947 »

As part of my Tamiya Tiger 1 build, I have wisely or foolishly (only time will tell) invested in several Aber brass photo etch products. My only previous experience of these has been some 00 gauge brass photo etch windows. I found it difficult to get paint to stick to these. I tried a simple primer but that came off. I would be grateful for any advice as to the pre-paint preparation of the brass and the type of paint to use. I have basic acrylic primers and an etching primer.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Painting Brass photo etch

Post by dgsselkirk »

Use the Tamiya metal primer. It works awesome and is designed to really work well with Tamiya paints. Biggest thing with photo etch is you must remove hand oils and/or flux if you soldered, from the surface. This is easy to do. Get a fine paintbrush and rubbing alcohol and gently "paint" your brass and it will be ready to prime...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Prep is important as well....I use the fine side of an emery board with the PE on a flat surface

ALPHA
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Never thought to rub it down prior to painting. Good tip.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Ad Lav wrote:Never thought to rub it down prior to painting. Good tip.
Prior to "use" lol....best to rough it up a little before doing anything...as it also helps facilitate soldering or gluing ;)

ALPHA
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

I used plastikote on brass now. The Tamiya primer I found chips easily once it's bonded to the paint in the layer above. The plastikote stuff bonds really well with the brass.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Just an Added note on prepping....some PE has residual film...usually blue or green in color on one side...dip in a good solvent like Xylene Then just wipe it down with a tight woven rag or a light careful brushing with an old toothbrush

I don't usually use any primers....the paint I use seems to stick well enough

ALPHA

Return to “Painting and Weathering”