yet another tiger 1 rebuild

alphatiger88
Recruit

yet another tiger 1 rebuild

Post by alphatiger88 »

hi all
as some may know i just got my first rc tank , after reading through some of the threads on these and other forums i have become aware of a few of the issues with these toys .
i am fairly busy but will keep this thread updated as and when i do a few of the mods ,
taigen lower hull is on the way from forgebear ,
400 size high torque motors as recommended elsewhere on this forum are on the way ,
10 tooth pinion and 1/8- 3/32 bore brass tube to act as motor shaft spacers will be ordered soon ,
i have searched the forum to find out what pitch the gears are , 48 pitch, 46 pitch , module 0.5 , i dont know about all versions but my silver pot metal heng long boxes are module 0.6
Image ,
the external detail will come soon , i will admit that the whole detail modelling aspect is completely new to me so you will most likely get a good laugh at my efforts :D ,
more soon
alphatiger88
Recruit

Re: yet another tiger 1 rebuild

Post by alphatiger88 »

lower hull arrived uber quickly , thanks muchly to Forgebear , Image
:thumbup:
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

so , i was having a good look over the taigen lower hull , the first issue i found was all the holes for the wheel spindles in the suspension arms were full of flash , the spindles refused to go into most of them , so i had to clean them out , sorted!
next up was that one of the torsion bars was tighter than the rest , on farther exploration i found it was fowling one of the gearbox mounting screw holes in the mounting plate , you can just see the hole circled in green.
Image ,
simple enough fix to pop off the tiny spring clip that holds the brass sleeve and flip the torsion bar, but, at £50 this sort of stuff should all be sorted.

the electronics plate , the shoddiest bit of plastic forming i have ever seen
it should flatten out when mounted but again , what happened to quality control ?
another tiny issue i found is the exhausts have been glued into the heat shields , not so good if you want to get in there to fully detail it ,
after reading so many favorable comments on taigen stuff i was expecting something a litter better considered from the modelers perspective :thumbdown: ,
anyhoo , thats enough grumping :D
more soon :thumbup:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Alphatiger Hi, When you checked your suspension did you run the grub screws right down the thread? Because sometimes they only go so far. A new grub screw sometimes solves the problem but running down the thread with your TAP & DIE set is the real answer, ROLSONS do a nice one from AMAZON. :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

jarndice wrote:Alphatiger Hi, When you checked your suspension did you run the grub screws right down the thread? Because sometimes they only go so far. A new grub screw sometimes solves the problem but running down the thread with your TAP & DIE set is the real answer, ROLSONS do a nice one from AMAZON. :thumbup: shaun
hiya Shaun,
thanks for the info buddy ,i did , all the grub screw holes seem fine , it was the holes that accept the wheel spindles that were blocked with flash , i guess its to be expected from the cheap die cast pot metal, a quick run through with a drill bit cleared them , just a bit frustrating , :D
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

The quality is a little lacking but it's fairly robust. I would suggest however you put a brace across the front, behind the motors and between the bottom of the sponsons. Otherwise when you put the top on, you will likely end up with gaps between the lower and upper hull where the sponsons are a little warped.
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

billpe wrote:The quality is a little lacking but it's fairly robust. I would suggest however you put a brace across the front, behind the motors and between the bottom of the sponsons. Otherwise when you put the top on, you will likely end up with gaps between the lower and upper hull where the sponsons are a little warped.
thanks Billpe, much appreciated , i was wondering about the flexy hull , the HL screws together in such a way that its quite rigid so i will take your advice on the brace , top man :thumbup:
billpe

Post by billpe »

Once the top is latched on, it's pretty strong. You can actually screw the top to a Taigan hull and forgo the quick release.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

And it is pretty easy to fit magnets as an alternative form of lock down, there is a write up on the forum as to how best to do it. :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
billpe

Post by billpe »

Yeah, some people have good success with strong rare earth magnets. Just keep them away from the speaker!

Return to “Tiger I”