King Tiger with zimmerit

Hetzer
Recruit

King Tiger with zimmerit

Post by Hetzer »

I have finaly started my King Tiger after several months away from the hobby doing other more boring stuff. At first I couldn't decide on weather I should zimm the turret ring and full barrel mantlet. But after studying Tony Greenlands 1/35th scale version in his book decided to do the full works and for once an unmolested example and not my usual beaten up wreak.
After a good wash down with detergent to remove grease and stuff I lightly roughed up the surfaces with 800 wet and dry, ready to apply the milliput zimmerit. This was applied a section at a time and drawn out flat and smoothed off with a plastic scraper and lots of water.

The black milliput was where I ran out of yellow and had to blend in. The engine screens were flea bay purchased, very good and detailed but the mesh is very delicate and breaks very easily. When adding Milliput zimm, I find it best to press in tools and tow ropes when still soft, but remember to remove again before the putty sets if you want to paint them off the model.
After the first dusting of primer in readyness of pre shading.
hotte8487
Sergeant

Re: King Tiger with zimmerit

Post by hotte8487 »

Well done Hetzer, show us more! :clap:
Greeting Hotte

IG-Panzerjäger Berlin

HL Tiger I late (ElMod)
Torro Kingtiger (ElMod)
Tamiya Tiger I early (ElMod)
Tamiya Panther G (ElMod)

The thinking is allowed to all people, but many are spared. (Curt Goetz 1888-1960)
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Looking great Hetzer...
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
tisaksen
Lance Corporal

Post by tisaksen »

Sweet now I really want that Henschel turret King Tiger from Heng Long to be released !
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

looks great.....fyi, the porsche turreted king tigers had pistol ports on the loaders side of the turret as well....
Hetzer
Recruit

Post by Hetzer »

I have finally got the chance to get back to this model and have now got as far as the first stages of weathering. After the base coat and cammo were applied ( as usual by air brush using Tamiya acrillics thinned with Normal propynol), small wear/tear and chips were painted in with a red sable 000. Each chip starting off with buff and then red brown over the top.
I continued by a treatment of thin washes using artists oils thinned right down with white spirit. To this pin washes were applied using lamp black and burnt/raw umber to stimulate rust and wot not. Its all a bit stark ATM but several dustings of light browns should blend it all together.
Pic 1. Pre shading finished and top coats sparyed on

Pic 2. chipping finished and the fist of several washes applied

Pic 3/4/5/6. Commencement of pin washes and oil streaks

Hetzer
Recruit

Post by Hetzer »

Forgot to add, thanks to mustclime for the heads up on the pisol port. :thumbup: Image
I have had another crack at the weathering tonight and finished off a couple of bits I missed the first time.

National cross and vehicle number painted in. I was going to add an out line to the 2 and 3 but think now I will leave as stencil for that 'In a hurry /rough and ready' look.
streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Post by streetfighterjeff »

looks great bud, love the slightly battered look.
jeff
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I
tisaksen
Lance Corporal

Post by tisaksen »

Holy s*** this stuff is unreal! For a moment there I thought I was looking at a real tank. Awesome!
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

killer paint work.......I like you got the loaders side pistol port....

Return to “King Tiger”