My Hunting Panther

MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: My Hunting Panther

Post by MrChef »

And some more progress-

Got some PE on the rear.

I was so dilligent with labeling the skirts all the way and I still forgot to paint one of them.

Wheels, wheels, damn more wheels...

Lots of parts and some extras.

I am 75% happy with how the texture technique worked out But after primer and 2 layers so far with camouflage colors to come it's kind of smoothing out. After looking at yet more reference pictures I could still go rougher next time. So in that case I might skip the thinned down Tamiya putty application and just use the glue stippling method then straight to paint.

So paints used so far the Rustoleum primer which was a breeze to work with. From application, to drying time to how it takes the Tamiya Spray paint. It was something I found suggested by modelers on the web and for the money and scale of this build it's a hit.

Next was Tamiya TS-1 Red Brown. I'm used to Tamiya can spray paints so not much to share on those except it takes about a can plus a 1/4 to do this 1/16th scale beast.

Yes I'm going to try hairspray chipping this guy. I had good experience when I did my KV-1 the first time so this should be fun. Yes i know that TS paint is "Laquer" and the hairspray process works well with Tamiya Acrylic BUT I watched some helpful videos showcasing MRP Laquer hairspray chipping and I've followed the instructions so far. Of course I'll share so you can experience my Win, Pass, Fail with it.

Next I did a light coat of TS-46 Light Sand on the top of the casemate trying to preshade. In reality it's only noticeable in person in the daylight after the next paint layer went on but oh well the road to Hell was paved with good intentions.

Next paint was TS-3 Dark Yellow. I have to be honest when that's all done the thing looks damned good. Things that jumped out at me though when I was inspecting it after this spray is just how pronounced and ugly some of the panels are with dents because of the structural supports underneath. Well likely the Camouflage will dazzle your eyes so ya can't see it.

Ok so since I don't have an airbrush, I know I keep saying that but I'm going to try 2 methods not usually done by non airbrushers. First The Hairspray chipping and Next 3 color Camouflage. But don't hold it against me if I chicken out and just do 2 tone.

I have tested several other colors and chosen TS-2 Dark Green and TS-69 Linoleum Deck Brown. I tested and even shared the colors with my wife and decided these 2 colors looked the best. I've never heard or seen anyone use TS-69 but it really looks good. I think it's underrated.

So either Friday or Sunday I'll have some more updated pictures of camouflage process.

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hmm... I think women perceive colors better than men---but in WW2 camouflage? :O I surrender! :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Some great progress mate. I admire your determination to use the cans over an airbrush to get the effects you want.
Perhaps a stencil of some sort that you could use to limit overspray and get the pattern you want?
Panzer Putty is a good option too as a flexible masking medium.
I’m following along in the tradition of those that follow along !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

2 cans. I hope thats enough for this beast.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Modelers used Play-Do for the same, with varying results, but I always like the fuzzy overspray lines possible by airbrushing at an angle to the putty. Like you, I use spray cans, but for me, the airbrush is also necessary. One example is Will and Catherine's generator and FLAK light set (viewtopic.php?p=337981#p337981). If I had used even the great Tamiya spray cans for the Dunkelgrau, I would have ended up with more runs than an old guy on prunes.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Today was a Big Day!

Keep in mind this is the First Time I'm attempting to paint camouflage. It's not historically accurate by any means but I'm pretty happy how it turned out. I absolutely want an airbrush now and will remind my wife of this until she finally concedes and says "Just Get It then!"

Fun with AK putty. Which is really cool stuff btw.

GREEN!!!

This is where I almost stopped. I almost didn't do the next color. I also srarted to use the clay to block out a different type of pattern but decided halfway to stop making life complicated and just finish.

Last edited by MrChef on Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Now I'm thinking of if I should do a paint filter or just weather it. Then if I do a filter, which way to go? Brown, Tan, Green, Grey?

But before all of that Next Step CHIPPING..

I'm not sure if I want to repaint or not. I like that I did it I'm just not sure if I'm in love with it.
Last edited by MrChef on Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal

Post by Burger_Patrol1 »

Really nice progress MrChef :thumbup: Cool looking tri-color camo pattern application w/ the elastic putty. Your base plate texturing is still visible, looks good. One thing comes to mind when you had mentioned about your texturing smoothing out with the coats of paint. When applied with rattle cans especially with self leveling primer and paints, you have very limited control on how much paint is being applied. In most cases even moving the spray pattern quickly across your work you still can apply a lot of paint at one time & smooth out your texturing unintentionally. In my opinion, I think your texture is still very visible and hope when get to paint stages on my build that my texture looks 1/2 as good as yours.
Maybe the Easter Bunny will bring you an AirBrush for Easter. The control of paint application is much higher than the rattle cans.Keep up the awesome work! :clap:
Tanks a lot,
Burger_Patrol1
Brea, CA. USA ;D
Tamy T1
Tamy Sand Scorcher
Tamy BlackFoot
Tamy Clodbuster
Static Dio's
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I think you are still teasing us a bit: your work shows a lot of skill you've been hiding behind that mask of inexperience. I second all that Burger Patrol says. As to a filter, after chipping, a light filter would knock down the contrast and fade the colors just a bit. My guess is brown, very thin, maybe a ready-made AK or Vallejo filter. Then I would head to the JNewboy's magic grime for three-tone. I hope others will chime in here if they disagree with my suggestions.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Well after alot of pondering and consideration I decided that I wasn't happy with the previous paint scheme sooo...

I'm starting over.

The good thing about this hobby is if you're not happy you can just redo it!

So now that I've got the hang of the putty and painting with it, I'm on to a new camo pattern.

Return to “Jagdpanther”