New Member - Hello from Lancashire :)

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
zooma
Lance Corporal

Re: New Member - Hello from Lancashire :)

Post by zooma »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:20 pm Hello and welcome to the forum zooma :wave:

Here's a link to a discussion thread about the club Tom has mentioned, there are quite a few pictures on page two, with a few more on page five :thumbup:

NW Tank and Military Vehicle group meeting
viewtopic.php?t=26060
Hi Son of a gun-ner,

Many thanks - I will take look.

Bob.
Never too old to learn........
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

Meter rat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:14 pm
zooma wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:13 pm.

My main interest is in tanks from the Cold War period to current times and so I have just ordered a HAYA Chieftain and hope to buy a HAYA Centurian - to be funded by selling one of my Tamiya Leopard 2A6 tanks (or my Tamiya Sherman or Tamiya Tiger 1 models as I have lost interest in WW2 period models).
Hello and welcome from the West Coast of Scotland. Thank goodness somebody is trying to drag this forum into the 20th century with something modern, or a least post war.
Hi Meter rat,

I did all the WW2 stuff for many years (mainly static models in 1/35 scale and the early Tamiya 1/16 scale r/c models) but I now like to model tanks from the Cold War era up to the present day.

Most armour modellers still prefer to make models from the WW2 period, but my most recent 1/35 scale models have been of the Conquerer Mk1 and Mk2 as well as the experimental spaced armour prototype Conquerer to sit alongside my Centurion models that were in service with the Conquerer in Germany.

Imagine a 1/16 scale r/c model of a Conquerer - now that would be something different!

My new HAYA Chieftain is due to be delivered today, and when I have time I will see what it would take to make a Mk 11 with the Chobham armour fitted as it would represent the most common version to be seen towards the end of its service life - and it was by far the most impressive looking Chieftain variant IMHO.

Looking to the future, a Centurion and a Challenger would make nice additions to my collection and maybe a T72 or T90 by way of a contrast would be nice as well!

Bob.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Welcome from Ontario, Canada 🍁!
Your club meeting venue sounds pretty sweet. Must admit I wasn't a huge fan of the initial modern tank offerings, but after stumbling into a HL T72 (yes, they have really improved their controls and detail), and seeing a real Centurion and Chieftain in the flesh they are growing quite rapidly on me.
Mike.
Meter rat
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Meter rat »

zooma wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:50 am My main interest is in tanks from the Cold War period to current times and so I have just ordered a HAYA Chieftain and hope to buy a HAYA Centurian
Looking to the future, a Centurion and a Challenger would make nice additions to my collection and maybe a T72 or T90 by way of a contrast would be nice as well!

Bob.
Very much the route I wish to take. Only I all ready have a T72, and for some reason I do not at the moment fancy a T90. I would like a Merkava though.
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

Meter rat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:55 pm
zooma wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:50 am My main interest is in tanks from the Cold War period to current times and so I have just ordered a HAYA Chieftain and hope to buy a HAYA Centurian

Bob.
Very much the route I wish to take. Only I all ready have a T72, and for some reason I do not at the moment fancy a T90. I would like a Merkava though.
My HAYA Chieftain has just arrived!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Well, gee, I was going to say hello, zooma, but I see that you are well on your way to Nirvana: "My HAYA Chieftain has just arrived!" Yay! :thumbup:
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:12 am Well, gee, I was going to say hello, zooma, but I see that you are well on your way to Nirvana: "My HAYA Chieftain has just arrived!" Yay! :thumbup:

Hello Dr.Professor,

My HAYA Chieftain arrived yesterday and it looks really good. This is my first non-Tamiya r/c tank and my first impression is that it captures the look of the Chieftain very well and that it also looks tough enough to take some good use without bits falling off.

I am looking forward to running this tank and maybe giving it a little weathering, but the matt paint finish is actually very good and I have no plans to repaint it at this stage but if I am able to convert it to a mk11 in the longer term I will paint it in the BATUS colour scheme that I think suites the Chieftain really well.

Enjoy your weekend!

Bob.
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

ColemanCollector wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:54 pm Welcome from Ontario, Canada 🍁!
Your club meeting venue sounds pretty sweet. Must admit I wasn't a huge fan of the initial modern tank offerings, but after stumbling into a HL T72 (yes, they have really improved their controls and detail), and seeing a real Centurion and Chieftain in the flesh they are growing quite rapidly on me.
Mike.
Hi Coleman Collector,

Thank you for your welcome to RCTANKWAREFARE.

I hope to be able to attract some interest in r/c tanks locally as I do have the use of an excellent facility with plenty of car parking. We are in a small town that has a choice of car parks close to the hall, and we are also close to several supermarkets and hardware stores so this is very handy for picking up "emergency supplies" such as AA batteries and biscuits :D

There are also plenty of street bars and restaurants (and traditional fish and chips) in the immediate proximity too so it is not a bad location.

First impressions of my Chieftain are very good and I am looking forward to giving it its first run later today.

Enjoy your weekend!

Bob.
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

Jimster wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:00 am 4,000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire. Although the holes were rather small, they had to count them all. Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
Sorry, I’m a big Beatles fan. Welcome aboard from Illinois USA.
Hi Jimster

I am also a Beatles fan and live close enough to Liverpool to be able to visit the Cavern Club now and again to reminisce and see where they played locally.

Thank you for your welcome and have a nice weekend!

Bob.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"First impressions of my Chieftain are very good and I am looking forward to giving it its first run later today." Oh, please, will there be photos? video? or maybe just a report of your experience? I love the idea of getting an unwholesome gang together with RC tanks and being able to grab batteries and biscuits nearby,

Return to “Introduce Yourself”