A very obscure bit of history: Kriegsmarine Tankers, 1945

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

Re: A very obscure bit of history: Kriegsmarine Tankers, 1945

Post by Mithras »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:24 pm I believe the Sturmtiger seen in a short video clip bombarding Warsaw was crewed by Naval personnel. They were used to operate the anti submarine mortar.
Word was they were awful as vehicle operators but the weapon skills were great!

It's likely true. The crews in the West were Heer, but it would make sense that those in the East would be KM.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Mithras
Corporal

Re: A very obscure bit of history: Kriegsmarine Tankers, 1945

Post by Mithras »

A bit more information attached to at least some of these crews.

According to a tertiary source, there were Hetzers attached to the 1st and 2nd Marine Grenadier Divisions at Berlin, 1945. An alternative source places the entirety of one of the Hetzer units at Prague. Likely an amalgamation of information poorly collected for hobby purposes. I'll note that the source is the same that's stolen some of my research for similar purposes, which means that the data was probably lifted from another source that has been deliberately left aside, so not likely to find much more progress in that direction for now. Still, it matches up with some of the references made on the Axis History forum. (Which must be one of the most poorly named publicly accessible groups on the Internet.)
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.

Return to “General Questions”