lower hull back plate and tow hook:

now, the front tow hooks, added chains and rivets:

simulated rear mudguards springs:

installation of the neodymium magnets on the rear hull:

Image Image

that's all for now

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
Jussek
Sergeant

Re: Jussek's Sd Kfz 161/4 Wirbelwind Projekt

Post by Jussek »

hello colleagues,

some more progress, the main works on the hull are almost done, i will start with the turret next.

the supports for the replacement barrel boxes

the boxes already on their supports

the frontal hooks and his chains

and a weld line to fill the space between the back plate and the upper hull

that's all for now

best regards!
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Hey Jussek......

Great looking gearbox covers & firewall. Your welds look really life like by the way :thumbup:

And got to say using cotton bud shafts as detailing , just love every day items like that being used , great idea and so inexpensive to boot !

Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Hey Jussek,

You have been reading my thread so you know I'm gonna tell you excellent use of household items! Bring on the turret! :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

yep!

if i can, i always want to re use things and bits ;D

finally started the turret yesterday, i had to use an orbital sander to reduce the turret base to the desired thickness. When finished, i was covered in the resin's dangerous dust :'(

Next will be make the making of the turret hole, because as it is, the flak must rest in the turret base, and this was utterly 'falsch'... :/

best regards
Jussek

Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hello guys,

here you are the work of some days. It's difficult and I've to work carefully on the flak and tower, bit a bit and thinking every step beforehand...

first, the commander/gunner's seat. His arm was the ONLY connection between turret and gun, and the turret was rotated when the gunner rotated the flak wheel. In this kit the arm is flat, in one resin piece, so i cut it and recreated the elevation supports for the seat:

here, the elevation arm syncro, when the guns are raised, this arm raised the sights too. I made it moveable:

on the other piece, i also cut a part, it's from where the empty shells are expulsed, and they where thrown on a box located there. But in the Wirbelwind there was not enough space for this box, so it was not mounted. In substitution a bag was located inside the hull.

this is the linealvisier 21, and the ground fire scope on his side

and finally, the turret. A lot of work, a lot of calculation to be done (i can't have a miss!)

next step would be make the supports to screw the turret support to the turret ring, and fill all holes with putty...

best regards
Jussek

lister fiend
Sergeant

Post by lister fiend »

Inching ever closer.
Keep it going mate :)
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

yep, inching is the word, man, this is slow work!

do you remember the empty shells container I cut off? So I used this resin piece, cut in half, to build the two supports to screw together the turret and the black toothed ring. I sanded them to make them fit the inner curve of the turret ring, and used araldite to glue them to this ring. After this was rock solid I did drilled the holes for the screws to get into.

Next step was to use milliput to fill all the recesses, craves, holes, etc. After cured, I sanded and sanded until the turret base was smooth enough.

I also started to build the interior H support for the flak, and the flak base. This is v1.0, the v2.0 is already on the works (no pics yet)
These pics would show how the parts will be interconnected when done

Now, the bad news. The metal guns are like sh@#t... I used a column support for the drill, in order to hold firm the piece in vertical position, and slowly drill out the centre, but to no avail, the material is so soft that it broke

So, I have already ordered from Knupfler 3 tubes that will fit one inside other, in Ø3mm, Ø4mm and Ø5mm. I plan to cut away the entire gun tube, then drill the gun body. In this way it will be only 10mm needed. Then i will put the new gun tubes…

I've already started to build the flak central body with 1mm plastic card, so it will be empty and then i could put the guts inside... no pics yet.

best regards
Jussek

littletankman
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by littletankman »

Lovely build mate I scratch built the Ostwind version years a go and built my own turret and flak gun just about ready to spray . A couple of things I noticed on flakpanzers if you look at the rear air intakes they have horizontal bars and on the front ones two vertical bars not sure why tho unless its because they are stationary more than the standard Pz.IV ?

Return to “Panzer IV”