Did I make a mistake?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Rob59
Sergeant

Re: Did I make a mistake?

Post by Rob59 »

So it isn't a mistake at all, buying/owning plastic tanks!
Mine are not perfect too, but in pictures every mistake you made will be visible when zoomed out!
But once outdoors, you always look at them from a little distance, and they are just good enough to me, the way they are right now.
Maybe I will make some little changes in the future, but for now they're good.
:wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

And they all look the same sitting on a shelf !
Give or take a few subtleties of course.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It's the 'subtleties' Herman alludes to, that take our models from the 'toy' category, to museum exhibits (as per some of the achievements of master-modellers on this forum). If you made a mistake, then we all, or perhaps the majority of us, made the same mistake. Enjoy what you have; learn from your models, and when- or if- you feel the urge to 'enhance' them; or even make them more robust (metal hulls etc,)- do it!. Above all, the point of the hobby is add extra enjoyment, and even knowledge, to your life. Merry Christmas.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

I started 3 years ago with a Taigen metal Tiger mid and a metal Panther G and then found our club. I then went into a buying 9 Tamiyas stage and then back to a couple of Taigens. So all expensive tanks. I bought a base except for metal gearbox HL TauchPanzer III a couple of months ago and that little tank is a blast and less than a quarter what I spent on the cheapest tank before it so no you didn't make a mistake. At the field to be honest the plastic tracked Tamiyas give me the least trouble compared to the metal tracked ones and while I know Tamiya tracks are much better than the HL ones in the torture test I gave the little Panzer on the field it performed excellently. It detracked only because I backed it into some thick vegetation. The biggest mistake I've made was not getting into this hobby 10 years ago. I'm totally addicted
Dogberry
Recruit

Post by Dogberry »

Did you make a Mistake.

Yes Yes Yes

Get out of this hobby while you still can………

Before long you will find yourself trawling the internet and poring over obscure books looking up facts about tanks nobody as ever heard of. Even if you have to learn some German and Polish to do it.

You will spend hours and a lot money making tiny pieces to fit on a tank. You will end up telling lies to the good lady wife about parcels the postman delivers. You will assure her that 4 Aber kits is just a bit of brass.

You will lie to yourself that spending two weeks to make the chain on the external barrel travel lock on a panther tank is entirely reasonable.

Your wife knows that the phrase “Brassing up a tank” means hours of solitude.
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 12144 times
That a trip to a museum means hundreds of obscure photos that only you recognize.
PICT0004 (15).jpg
PICT0004 (15).jpg (895.14 KiB) Viewed 12144 times
DSCF5908.jpg
DSCF5908.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 12144 times
DSCF5699.jpg
DSCF5699.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 12144 times
That even though they are Radio Control you dare not take them out or battle them because of the detail.

A lathe is essential and you have priced up laser welders….

Seriously we get into a hobby or pastime because it gives us pleasure. If running all plastic HL tanks straight from box is good for you you didn’t make a mistake, do it and have fun.
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Post by michaelwhittmann »

I have a lot to learn.
1st NJ Tank Squadron
HL Sherman
HL King Tiger
HL Panzer III
HL Tiger I
HL Panther
ALL WsIP but pretty much done
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Not to mention that we begin to see the matrix so to speak.
Every object around us is viewed with its true form altered to one that might have a use on a model!!
Everything has a potential use to enhance an outcome in 16th scale :crazy:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Bix is right: I am not even much of a scrap builder at all, and I still just piddle at the simplest of electronics, but I am surrounded by pieces of all sorts of neat little things that have that "this might be useful someday" look. (No, it's not "junk.")
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:42 pm Not to mention that we begin to see the matrix so to speak.
Every object around us is viewed with its true form altered to one that might have a use on a model!!
Everything has a potential use to enhance an outcome in 16th scale :crazy:
I've got hair ties for everyone!!! :/ :haha: :haha: :haha: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

michaelwhittmann wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:11 pm I have a lot to learn.
One day you will learn that true sadness is realising there is nothing left to learn, no unseen photos to be found, and no new books on your favourite topic.

Return to “General Discussion”