Hooben Mk IV

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

Hooben Mk IV

Post by Mithras »

Hi, everybody.

I’ve been eyeing the Hooben Mark IV. How hard a build is it, really? Would it require advanced wiring or programming? Looks like the wire connections are just snaps rather than soldering.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Hooben MkIV

Post by Kaczor »

If you buy a set with factory electronics, installation should not cause any problems. But it's not the electronics that are the biggest challenge in this set, but the construction itself.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Kaczor wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:27 am If you buy a set with factory electronics, installation should not cause any problems. But it's not the electronics that are the biggest challenge in this set, but the construction itself.
If you don’t mind a potentially stupid question, Kaczor, what makes it difficult?
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Mithras wrote:
Kaczor wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:27 am If you buy a set with factory electronics, installation should not cause any problems. But it's not the electronics that are the biggest challenge in this set, but the construction itself.
If you don’t mind a potentially stupid question, Kaczor, what makes it difficult?
Rivets

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Nah, rivets are fine. But photo etched parts are tricky to assembly and soldering is recommended. Some people only glue them but I would not do that on a RC model.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A Tip for soldering PE use a butane torch and liquid solder, Much easier and neater than a soldering iron and soldering wire.Dremel sell a Butane torch.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Kaczor wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:04 am Nah, rivets are fine. But photo etched parts are tricky to assembly and soldering is recommended. Some people only glue them but I would not do that on a RC model.

Much appreciated. I've used photo etch for projects, and I agree: It's a pain in the ass. I assume that the issue with soldering is that the glue wouldn't hold up well?
Kaczor

Re: Hooben Mk IV

Post by Kaczor »

Well, this guy didn't solder anything and it seems it works ok:
phpBB [video]
tankme

Re: Hooben Mk IV

Post by tankme »

Paste solder and liquid flux can be soldered with a heat gun as it melts with pretty low heat. I do it all the time for PE. Most people have tons of issues soldering PE or any other electronics because they don't use flux. Flux is key to a good solder joint. I bought a bottle of liquid flux like 5 years ago and still not even half gone. Just remember to use a brush and some IPA to clean up the flux after the soldering if it's corrosive flux.

Soldering will hold up much better in the long run. Knowing Hooben, I would try my best not to lose any parts as you may not be able to get replacements.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Questions”