RC 1/16 Bren Carrier revisited

Up to the end of WWII.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: RC 1/16 Bren Carrier revisited

Post by AlwynTurner »

I did some extensive testing during the Blackpool model show and found that the bevel gears were having problems meshing correctly. After investigation I found there were two issues, the first being the motor moving around, and the second being the need for a washer between the drive axle bevel gear and the bearing so that the contact with the other bevel gear was solid. So a quick redesign and reprint and then I can start putting it all back together.... :crazy: 8O :/ :headbang:
Onwards and upwards!
Alwyn :thumbup: :|
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

All good development and testing is vital. Good work.
It looked great at the show, was awesome to see it running around
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

After a busy festive season with the family and three unpleasant weeks battling a severe head cold I'm back to working on the bren carrier.

I found that the gearbox design was not robust enough and had a tendency to twist under load, resultuing in the bevel gears not meshing. A quick redesign later I have a much better design.

After installation and testing it now works fine, so I am back to detailing the vehicle.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Shame you can't print with an internal reinforcing mesh, or rods, like how they reinforce concrete.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Something nearly as good is the use of the new carbon fibre filament, but I would need to change to stainless steel nozzle, but a bit of redesign did the trick so no problem.

WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

AlwynTurner wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:40 pm Something nearly as good is the use of the new carbon fibre filament, but I would need to change to stainless steel nozzle, but a bit of redesign did the trick so no problem.
All good development :)
I would have printed the side bearing supports seperately and then solvent weld into position.
I would love to test this little baby out aswell, it looked soo cool when at Blackpool
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

WCP RC MODELS wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:52 am
AlwynTurner wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:40 pm Something nearly as good is the use of the new carbon fibre filament, but I would need to change to stainless steel nozzle, but a bit of redesign did the trick so no problem.
All good development :)
I would have printed the side bearing supports seperately and then solvent weld into position.
I would love to test this little baby out aswell, it looked soo cool when at Blackpool
Give it a couple of months and you won't need Will, with the way you're going ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Other”