Gearboxes and more power

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Madmarcus
Recruit

Gearboxes and more power

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm looking for information on the beefier aftermarket gearboxes (such as the taigen steel ones). A current project is to create a modified children's ride on toy that can hold an adult. Some of the 1/16 scale aftermarket gearboxes look to have interesting combinations of price and gear ratio (thank you to the people who created the excel file) but it's hard to tell how they would build up.

What do people use in 1/6 or 1/8 tanks?
blimp
Sergeant

Re: Gearboxes and more power

Post by blimp »

Hi Madmarcus , Welcome to the site ! - re gearboxes , 1/16 gears would be too small for a child/adult vehicle , maybe the types fitted in mobility scooters or wheelchairs would be more suitable ? :think: . B.
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
Madmarcus
Recruit

Post by Madmarcus »

That 1:16 gearboxes are too small was my first thought. Which led me to the idea of 1:6 models. Unfortunately those are hard to find details for or off the shelf parts.

So I went back to 1:16. The gears themselves seen better than similar robot oriented gearboxes (the steel ones at least) so I have to wonder how much torque they can take?
Madmarcus
Recruit

Post by Madmarcus »

BTW mobility scooters are one of my alternate plans but many of them use a worm gear style gearbox which is not optimal for my use.

Return to “General Questions”