Torro 1/16 WSN/"Play Line" Questions

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
clfr98ad
Recruit

Torro 1/16 WSN/"Play Line" Questions

Post by clfr98ad »

Hi guys,

Ive just purchased a couple of cheap Torro tanks to play around with and do some low level IR battling.
I selected a Tiger I and a T34 from torro - from their cheap 'play' line, which seemed to be the cheapest 1/16 tanks around in a sufficient quality.

Considering the price I think they're great, and with a decent detail level also - note that I am no pro and won't pose as such - so thats just my opinion as a complete newbie in this particular regard...

So here are a couple of questions for you pro's out there... or maybe other newbs who walked this path previously.

First question is a real embarrasing one... I cant seem to find the obvious way to open the Tiger tank. I notice that some other brands demands you remove the 'driveline' by pulling out a plastic cover on the front drive wheel - but I get no indication when I carefully mess with it if that is the way to go.. if anyone could enlighten me a bit on the subject that would be much appreciated...

The IR system is very low level, and no real aiming is necessary to hit your opponent- anyone have any experience with improving this without exchanging the turret or IR system? I am about to start some modding as this is essential , and have seen torro tank sport some spare metal version of turrets with "high precision" IR. Anyone tried fitting these? I would guess that a lot could be obtained with just adding of some tubes and just slight home modding of the barrel 'n'stuff' - opinions?

All in all I guess I am asking if you think it is worth diggin into this upgrading of a plastic model - or should I in your opinion go for exchanging them with better models. Please not that I got them only for fun - but as I could immediately tell and also from this forum, one can easily get sucked into this and get more demanding. But also bear in mind that I don't mind being hands-on and upgrading stuff manually. I am a RC car, plane and Heli buff, so although not completely related I am not new to messin with 'stuff'... as long as it is not getting too retarded - what are your two cents in that matter?

Thanks for your input.
Last edited by clfr98ad on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger I Torro WSN IR
T-34 Torro WSN IR
T-34 Torro Pro BB (HL)
Tiger II Torro Pro IR (HL)
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Torro 1/16 "Play Line" Questions

Post by jarndice »

Hi welcome to the Forum,
First I have never heard of Torro's "PLAYLINE" But every TAIGEN and TORRO Tiger 1 I have come across had a quick release.
If you flip the air cleaner pipes away from the 4 Black plastic tubes on the rear engine cover then lift up the LEFT rear fender you should find a lever which you pull towards you and at the same time lift up the Tank body from the rear, DO IT GENTLY as there are cables in the turret and body connected to the control board in the hull which means you cannot lift the body very far until you unplug the main 8 pin plug cable connected from the body to the hull mounted control board.
If the quick release is not fitted look for screws under the side fenders.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
clfr98ad
Recruit

Post by clfr98ad »

jarndice wrote:Hi welcome to the Forum,
First I have never heard of Torro's "PLAYLINE" But every TAIGEN and TORRO Tiger 1 I have come across had a quick release.
If you flip the air cleaner pipes away from the 4 Black plastic tubes on the rear engine cover then lift up the LEFT rear fender you should find a lever which you pull towards you and at the same time lift up the Tank body from the rear, DO IT GENTLY as there are cables in the turret and body connected to the control board in the hull which means you cannot lift the body very far until you unplug the main 8 pin plug cable connected from the body to the hull mounted control board.
If the quick release is not fitted look for screws under the side fenders.
Shaun.
Hi
Thanks for your response!
This version does not have any black tubes on the rear, and as such I can not locate any type of lever on the back left side. I would assume it is assembled with screws probably located under the fenders, but have no idea how to remove the belts. I also base this on the notion that the T-34 from the same series from Torro, is assembled with screws visible and accesible directly on the bottom plate... However I don't know how to dismount the belts on the Tiger to access the screws. I saw that on some versions you remove a small cap on the front wheel, but I am unsure if this is the way to do it...
Tiger I Torro WSN IR
T-34 Torro WSN IR
T-34 Torro Pro BB (HL)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The tracks are held together by track pins and they can only be pulled out/pushed in in one direction.
If you have a pointer that is not larger than the head of the track pin place it in position against the head of the track pin and give it a sharp tap,
NOT TO HARD,
all you are doing is finding out which end of the pin you are tapping,
IF THE POINTER pushes the pin in then with a pair of grips grasp the pin which will now be coming out from the other side of the track and pull it free, be careful you do not drop the pin or the tracks,
If that first tap does nothing then try the same thing on the same track pin from the otherside.
Once you have the pin out you will see that one end is narrower than the other,
Good Luck. :thumbup:
In future you might like to get some spare track pins that you can use to push pins into and out of your tracks
Shaun.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you decide to remove the front SPROCKET the HEX HEADED BOLT that holds the sprocket to the Gearbox output shaft is covered by a plastic cap which should come free if you grip both sides of the cap with your thumbnail and fingernail and pull it free. using the right sized Hex spanner remove the bolt and work the sprocket free, the end of the shaft is "D" shaped and fits into a "D" shape in the sprocket.
shaun.
clfr98ad
Recruit

Post by clfr98ad »

Guys,
Thanks so much for your feedback.
Based on your feedback I got them opened up, and investigated the forums some more on the WSN - and it does indeed appear to be the same tank.

It is my early conclusion that the quality is not high enough to base for mechanical upgrade on a larger scale. It would serve as a fine basis for modelling or compete rebuild - however thats not my main area of expertise...

At least Im a bit clearer now on my own wishes and expectations - Essentially I am just looking for some tanks to play IR battle for some fun and thats it. They don't need to be all metal or historical correct for that.

I'll open a new thread on the IR questions...

Thanks again
Tiger I Torro WSN IR
T-34 Torro WSN IR
T-34 Torro Pro BB (HL)

Return to “General Questions”