ral7021 too dark?

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
mike1268
Corporal

ral7021 too dark?

Post by mike1268 »

So I've read that ral7021 is panzer grey. Sprayed the tiger1 and it looks way too dark? What's the best shade/colour code for a plane panzer grey?
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: ral7021 too dark?

Post by billpe »

Ral7021 is very dark. The misconception that its more like field grey comes from that in photos its usually covered with a layer of dust. I'd personally do something like use a light blue filter then lighten the edges by dry brushing a lighter grey oil paint. Its pretty easy to make using dark grey and a flesh tone (yes, a pinky flesh tone!). Then lastly do your weathering with dust colours which will further lighten it.

There is a good feature on this exact thing in the Dust version of The Weathering Magazine on a grey tiger.

FYI there is no colour called panzer grey. 7021 is Schwartzgrau which is 'black-grey' hence the darkness.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Also there's the scale lightening effect, so the smaller the model the lighter the colour should be!
mike1268
Corporal

Post by mike1268 »

I think I've miss presented the question.... Lol

Let me re-word.

I know ral7021 is the correct colour for a grey tiger, but its too dark for the base coat. What shade base coats are people using? The ral7021 will be great for the darker areas of the tank.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

I'd use the darker colour as the base then lighten the areas you want to modulate by mixing the dark grey with a little flat flesh. You're trying to modulate so unless you buy a set it will involve some mixing and experiments with progressively adding lighter layers over the dark.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”